The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, this is lo_trigger starting a brand new tank. The tank was started due to me and my dad wanting a bigger tank, because we moved into our (hopefully) permanent home. Our goals for the tank are to set up a mixed reef with some really unique specimens and hopefully keeping this tank very pristine. We have a Red Sea Reefer 450, using Aqua Illumination 52 lights because they are very well built, and match our aquarium color and design (white). We set the tank up a month ago with live sand (100 lbs.) and (estimating) 100 lbs. of dry reef saver BRS rock, and a Neptune apex regular package. Yesterday, we hung the AI lights using the hanging kit witch I strongly recommend for the AI enthusiast simply because of their unique but simple design. ( I'll post pics later) Today we added a MP40 Quietdrive and a blue line rabbit fish. (YAY). Seems I can't upload photos here but I have them in imigur!

http://imgur.com/6XhSxsy -full tank shot

http://imgur.com/gMxNtI8 - 1/2 angle shot

http://imgur.com/Z4TDTXt -side view top shot

EQUIPMENT:
-Reef octopus 150 compact skimmer
-Two cobalt neo-therm heaters
-BRS dual reactor with GFO and carbon
-Gravity fed ATO (stock, sits above filter socks.)
-Apex regular package, one pH probe and one temp. probe and display.
-Two AI 52's hung by the hanging kit (sold separate) and controlled by the apex module.
- One MP-40 quiet drive
-Sicce quiet pump

Let me know what you think! thanks alot!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
this is a re-do thread because I messed up on the old one. sorry I'm kinda bad at this.

PLANS FOR FISH
-Blue line rabbit
-potters angel
-magnificent fox face
-powder blue
I def. want more but this is for now. right now I do have the Blue Line Rabbit fish and he has the whole tank to himself and eats like a pig!

INVERTABRATES
- reg. small hermits (90)
- astrea snails (10)
- 1 small tuxedo urchin\
Im confident that this will work but if you see any problems please let me know! i appreciate all input! thanks guys :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the tanks been set up for about a moth and a half now. cycle finished a week ago. The tank is 120 gallons with a 30 gal. sump.

·
Aquatic Beginner
1,427 Posts
The tank is what 100gals? You blueline will get 11in and need 180gals*
the magnificent foxface 9in and need 125gals and the potters angel 5in*
and needs 70gals but is considered difficult to keep. Powder blue tank 9in
and needs 125gals Look around on*liveaquaria.com.for beautiful size
that fit your tanks size.

You can overstock quickly when adding fish that require more room.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank is what 100gals? You blueline will get 11in and need 180gals*
the magnificent foxface 9in and need 125gals and the potters angel 5in*
and needs 70gals but is considered difficult to keep. Powder blue tank 9in
and needs 125gals Look around on*liveaquaria.com.for beautiful size
that fit your tanks size.

You can overstock quickly when adding fish that require more room.
I dont think 5 gals will make much of a difference, the tank is pretty long (60'')
i feel that the fish will be ok. From my experience, Potters have proven to be decently hardy in captivity when well monitored and fed. although i appreciate your input! :D I dont think we should use live aquariua for all our judgements even though it is very helpful.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll try to post some pics of the blue line and more close ups of the tank. I'll also explain how my dad and I hung the lights.

·
Underwater Demolitions
11,547 Posts
Hey LO! Nice to see you back. Although your stocking list might be a bit problematic, we really like build threads and we're here to help in many ways, not just to chastise you about fish. Let's go! Let's see those pics, and I'm excited to see how you hung your lights!

Edit: oops! Saw the pic. That's a sweet setup.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey LO! Nice to see you back. Although your stocking list might be a bit problematic, we really like build threads and we're here to help in many ways, not just to chastise you about fish. Let's go! Let's see those pics, and I'm excited to see how you hung your lights!

Edit: oops! Saw the pic. That's a sweet setup.
Thanks alot! Here is an image of the cord hiders so they dont make the AI's tilt back.(a common problem with AI users) I will post pics on how to hang it tomorrow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Here is how I prevented from seeing the black cords and also preventing the tilt (common problem with AI users) I used white cord hider, as simple as that. You can see them against the wall.

Image link here:
http://imgur.com/ScpVJ7K?desktop=1

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
120 gallons
The display is like 96gals? No? Or did i look up the wrong one. Beautiful tank and stand though
Ok, so I just looked it up and it does say the display tank is 92 gallons. Are you saying 120 gallons with your sump? When stocking a tank, you go by the display size, not the total water volume. If I had 75 gallon tank and a 200 gallon sump I would not stock my tank with fish that need 200 gallon tanks. It is the room they have to swim, not how much water you have throughout the system.

Now having said that, people make it seem that if you do not follow Live Aquaria's recommendations then you are either cruel to the fish or they will die which in either case couldn't be further from the truth. They are a retail site like every other retail site on the web and there are so many different recommended tank sizes throughout the web . They are good to use as an idea of how a fish might act or possibly how large one can grow. They take a fishes temperment into consideration. So they might say this fish might be calmer in a much larger tank then a smaller one even though fish is of a smaller size. So you put the fish in a smaller tank and he is not aggressive at all. No harm done but people throw a knife at you because the fish in 20 gallons less then what Live Aquaria recommends for the fish.

Now would I throw a 3 foot fish in a 2 foot tank, no I wouldn't because it wouldn't fit without bending him and I heard that can be stressful to the fish.

Anyway, the moral of the story unless you got a custom made version of this tank your display size is listed at 92 gallons.

And I keep fish in my tank recommeded for larger size aquariums on Live Aquaria's site and they do fine, meaning they thrive. Eat like pigs, have fat bellies and swim around calmly without aggression all day long. Actually, the most aggressive fish in my tank is listed for tanks 35 gallons less then mine and that is my clown fish. Maybe they require 200 gallon tanks and not 20 like the minimum recommended size on LA. I am going to write them an email right now and tell them that they need to up the minimum size tank for clown fish to maybe curve their agression. 200g minimum!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, now I understand. Everyone on this site uses live Aquria as their "fish bibles" and if you go off the LA guideline you will be considered a animal abuser and torturer? I'm really sorry if you think that. These are juveniles, and will be happy for a long time, (their whole life) in this tank. I am only doing four fish so my tank won't be overstocked. Like I said, the tank is very long (60") and they will all have plenty of space, room, and territory for themselves. :D

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
Everyone on this site uses live Aquria as their "fish bibles" and if you go off the LA guideline you will be considered a animal abuser and torturer? I'm really sorry if you think that.
Just a little fix, not 'everyone'. Everyone doesn't leave room for the ones that don't. ;)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Great looking tank.

Don't let the fish police discourage you from posting. I am sure you will move the fish if they become too big or unhappy. :)

Keep posting. I am on board!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Great looking tank.

Don't let the fish police discourage you from posting. I am sure you will move the fish if they become too big or unhappy. :)

Keep posting. I am on board!
Thanks alot. I was a little discouraged to even continue this thread! If you want to see anything, just let me Know. I will be adding corals soon!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts