The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm starting up a reef tank, and it's my first time so I wanted to make sure I don't mess anything up. I just set it up Saturday, Sept 3, and I put 2 30 lb bags of white caribbean sand, and one 20 lb bag of aragonite live sand. Then i put water from the tap into the tank and put water conditioner in it. (I don't have a water purification system YET, im currently saving up for an RO system. Then I got my salinity set, and my two filters running, I have one wet dry trickle system, and one penguin 350 biowheel filter. I let that run for about 7 hours, then I put about 70 lbs of live rock that I'm pretty sure was already cured, for I bought it from someone who used it in a reef for more than 6 months. I also added some of the saltwater that came with the rock to increase bacteria, and also added bacteria starter to the water. I have been testing it once a day, and so far my PH and nitrite levels are good, but my Ammonia levels are at 2.0 PPM. I was about to put some more conditioner in, but I wasn't sure if I should. I'm kind of stuck on what my next step would be. Should I some shrimp or snails for a cleaner package, or should I wait a couple of weeks until I get my levels evened out?

·
Registered
203 Posts
the ammonia spikes during the curing process i would give it more time and do u have a protien skimmer? and u can pick up ro system for 240 bucks 50 gallons a day with a 3.5 holding tank and if ur using tap water and ur test r good i dont c a problem

·
Registered
203 Posts
and for a 75 gallon u dont have near enough flow or filtration for that tank i would say at least 10 times ur water volume to b nice and safe.

·
xenia reef
642 Posts
Well congrats on the tank huskies, and welcome to trt!

is this your first tank ever? and yeah you should wait at least 2-3 weeks until its even safe for shrimp or fish or even corals.

So its a 70gal right? thats not nearly enough flow for a tank that size, and lastly by "bacteria starter" what exactly do you mean?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a 75 gallon tank. I don't have a protein skimmer, I wasn't sure if I needed one or not. Would a couple power heads take care of my circulation problem. I also have charcoal pads for the penguin. Would adding a hang on protein skimmer handle my filtration problem? Yes this is my first tank, that's why I'm spending the first couple mounths with a fowlr tank so I can hone my skills a little before I start getting into corals and inverts.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Congrats on then new tank, I found out the hard way a while ago that A: don't put live rock from someone else's tank in yours unless you take the proper steps and B: don't put anyone else's water in your tank. There are various reasons for following this..mainly you don't know what your getting when you do these things. A skimmer is a must almost in all cases.

·
Registered
203 Posts
a skimmer removes the doo doo from ur water. u also wanna get a testing kit so u can keep check on ur water condition. stay on this site and u can get all the info u need very helpful here :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have already put the rock and some water in, so it's to late to fix those. My uncle is a fish breeder, and he told me that putting a little water in from the live rock will give me some beneficial bacteria, so I went ahead and did that. And as far as skimmers go, do I need a big one? Or would a simple hang on protein skimmer be alright?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a skimmer removes the doo doo from ur water. u also wanna get a testing kit so u can keep check on ur water condition. stay on this site and u can get all the info u need very helpful here :)
I got a testing kit with the tank I bought, but it was freshwater, so I bought a saltwater one too. But the two kits are very similar ( salt water is missing low range PH ). Do you think I could get away with the freshwater one, or should I keep the salt water one?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well congrats on the tank huskies, and welcome to trt!

is this your first tank ever? and yeah you should wait at least 2-3 weeks until its even safe for shrimp or fish or even corals.

So its a 70gal right? thats not nearly enough flow for a tank that size, and lastly by "bacteria starter" what exactly do you mean?
I bought a bottle of bacteria supplement from petsmart to help ease the new tank syndrome.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts