The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To all,

Tank is a 125 gallon reef system with 235 lbs. gulf aquacultured rock. Some of the stuff sprouting is yellow and orange sponges, anenomes, and etc. Top off is done with tunze osmolator and Ro/Di system. My goal is to have a well balanced system with consistency. Regarding supplements, what are the best supplements with broad coverage? I currently have Kent Essential Elements & Liquid Calcium. Will I need a reef buffer or anything else? I'm trying to minimize the chemistry lab and overlapping. There seems to be thousands of supplements to choose from. Confusing!!!! Also, I want to develop a consistent routine when it comes to supplements.

thanks,
alex

·
11,345 Posts
To be quite honest....with regular water changesd you dont have to supplement ANYTHING. I think a lot people would be better off NOT playing with chemistry at all in the first place.

Buy a pinpoint PH monitor and add alk when it indicates you need to.........keep track of your calcium levels(especialy if you have any sps) and dose that as needed. That is all that is REALLy necessary for a happy healthy reef.

To be sure...im not saying there arent other things you can do to improve things, but those are the essentials, and unless you really do your homework, those are the only thing the majority if reefers should even be messing with.

Regular water changes......frequency is subjective but 10-15% every two weeks is a great place to start for anybody. A little more if you overfeed and/or underskim.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard of some people that do 10%, or no, water change per year. Is this possible. I imagine an oodle of supplements would have to be required.

·
11,345 Posts
djordje said:
I've heard of some people that do 10%, or no, water change per year. Is this possible. I imagine an oodle of supplements would have to be required.
they are in a VERY small minority and depending on what they keep, yes supplementation and monitoring would be needed to keep your reef healthy.
Im not going to claim to be an expert but following the simple easy guidleines i said earlier i promise you your reef will be happy.

I just ran a 46 barebottom for 3 months without a skimmer and only did 1 25% water change and detritus siphon. It was absolutley packed with softies and lps with only 1 3" blue tang in it. All of the corals looked as good as ever. It wasnt really my ideal program but i was busy building the tank they were to go into and just neglected it but i did add calcium and alk weekly to maintain levels.........and fed the tang 1 cube of mysis once a week. Kind of interesting results i thought.....i did look at the tank every day and would have changed the water more had i noticed any problems......

i really meant to check ALL of the water parameters just to see what they were when i broke the tank down but i cracked the tank and had to move everything out fast and forgot to......

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks flyguy.

My intent is to not overstock, but I see your rationale. I may start out with a routine of running all tests on saturdays, to develop a feel for how the chemistry is changing. Possibly, a 20% water change per month will suffice. Depending on my corals, I will have to get a grip on calcium requirements. I need to read up on alkalinity, but I do know it controls the buffering ability of the water. Does my reef sand and live rock contribute to buffering?

Thanks,
novice looking to be a pro one day.

·
11,345 Posts
A great simple way to go is to simply buy kent liquid calcium and hand dose it daily according to directions, and add kent superbuffer dkh as needed, according to directions when needed by what either your salifert tests say or your ph monitor.
If you get heavily into sps corals then you really want to look into getting a calcium reactor as they are much happier under more stable environments, but IME lps and softies could care less as long as you keep the levels where they need to be.
I would suggest doing a 10 or 15% water change twice a month, not only to keep things more stable but it is a good way to keep yourself in a routine of good husbandry and awareness as we tend to not pay attention to details except for when we do do water changes.
As far as the rock and sands role in the buffering capacity of your water column.....it does, but if i tried to explain it it would be my limited knowledge of it along with regurgitating something that Tom or someone else has spit out that i marginally(if at all)understand myself. :freak:
I have learned that you have to pick your battles in this hobby and to be honest, the higher chemistry of it I take for granted that people such as Tom just know what the hell they are talking about and follow their guidance. Its all baby steps to get to a point of TRULY understanding it enough to spit out some of the science of it off the top of your head.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts