The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Im new on the forum and actually from the England. So this is my first post be kind!! So basically Im getting hooked on Reef aquariums and have been doing a fair bit of research, love this site btw. I just wanted to write a checklist for the bulk main items and for you guys to tell me things Im missing!

Here goes:

30 gallon tank
Live sand
Live rock
t5 lighting unit im thinking aquatic life t5 light fixture
Pump im thinking ecotech vortech mp10
And skimmer im thinking Aqua c remora pro skimmer

Its weird because all the big items are american things but i have found there to be good reviews on these things,Im one of these guys who dosnt mind spending money on good quality stuff as long as its good and I dont do things by half.

Have I missed anything out?

many thanks Rosco

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Welcome to TRT and the hobby.

My number 1 suggestion, don't waste your money on the remora pro skimmer. Completely a horrible performer on my 29 gal tank. If i could take that purchase back i would. I would recommend one of three things. Look at octopus skimmers, a tunze nano skimmer if you are planning a sump or refugium, or just do regular water changes and you won't need a skimmer on a tank that size. Octopus skimmers seem to get the best reviews.

Also a mp10 is a great powerhead but i would still recommend getting 2, one on each side of the tank. So i would throw in a hydor evolution or similar small powerhead as well. I have 2 k2's in mine and the flow is not overwhelming but circulates enough that there aren't many deadspots.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks shaggy for the advice

Im not planning to have a sump or refugim just to do water changes and possibly have a skimmer, but i wont need the skimmer right off the back will I. i.e form the start when I have just the 3-4" sandbed and the live rock. will this cycle the tank on its own? I will be patiant and thanks for the advice and Ill check them skimmers out.

P.s heater do you mean in tank heater if so yeah I got that covered thanks Mr limpet. It isnt that cold over here but obviously not as hot as you lucky guys have it in the U.S.A!

Thanks guys....

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Yes the live rock and sand will cycle on it's own provided there is adequete circulation of the water to move it through the rockwork.

Another thing to consider is the 3-4 inches of sand statement you made. That is a non recommeded amount. If you are going for a deep sand bed, it is usually 5 to 6 inches deep. If going just for decretive sand bed 1 to 2 inches is recommended. Sandbeds in the middle range can be problematic down the road and a lot of reefers prefer Bare bottom tanks for ease of cleaning. Dependng on what kind of live stock you want that should determine what depth sand bed you use. If you want burrowing gobies and shrimp, stuff like that. I actually keep the back of my tank barebottom and have a shallow sand bed in the front and sides for maintance. Just something i thought i would throw out there so you can do a little research on it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah thats what I meant loverotties about the lighting lol. Thanks for your posts made me think twice about the aqua c remora pro! Im finding conflicting reports about deap sandbeds so a bit confused ill ask the lfs owner and get his opinion Ive found this website which strongly supports them. Read the last paragragh in paticular.

http://www.ronshimek.com/deep_sand_beds.html

Thanks again guys

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Just remember a sand bed is personal preference. Some articles and people would only recommend deep sand beds because of the success they have had while others who had problems with them would never use them again. You are going to find a lot of conflicting info on the subject. I feel that you should look at pics of all 3, DSB, SSB, and barebottom and make your own mind up based on your needs and what looks good to you.

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
Don't forget a good reliable source of RO/DI or distilled water and a good name brand salt mix. Water is the single largest ingredient in a reef system and everything else depends on its quality. I have seen too many people invest thousands in reef equipment and inhabitants only to use tap water, grow a buch of algae, get discouraged and quit. Don't let that happen to you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah thanks again guys really do appreciate the help I defo will be using an RO/DI unit AZDesertRat as all the research I have been doing clearly points this out as a MUST. Like I said reaserch is the stage Im at I think realistically I will have a tank up and running with only live rock by christmas as im gonna save up and not just dive in headfirst I want the best enviroment for my future fish and corals.

Cheers rosco

·
Novel Responder
4,371 Posts
Welcome and THANK YOU on behalf of everyone here and every organism you put in your tank for doing research ahead of time. The most important advice I can give is plan your work and then work your plan. This, of course, requires research so you learn not to put tap water in the tank to start (I learned that one the hard way), not to use tap for top offs (yep, screwed that up too initially), and where to go to get information, such as TRT, when everything began to look up for me.
Patience is key in this hobby. If you want to speed up your cycle, you can drop a piece shrimp in to kick start it, though if you are buying live rock, it will start on its own.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers Little Fishy at least im on the right track then with all the research. its good to get some back up of people who have been doing this for a long time and maybe one day I will be Master and Jedi of all things saltwater!

·
Registered
118 Posts
if you got t5 ho why not get ati blue plus and aquablu im from uk and know where you can get them from recently had mine delivered worth every penny and if you have been looking through the site about lighting you will see ati are up there with the best pretty hard to find in the uk as i beleave there american but i did manage to find two shops in the whole of the uk that stock these how many fixtures / bulbs does your unit take

1 - 13 of 13 Posts