The Reef Tank banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Addicted to water
1,011 Posts
I'm a newbie, but I've read that the best starfish for reefs are some types of linkias. Blues are very hard to take care of, but I think orange linkias are pretty hardy after they first acclimidate. Here's a picture:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=581

Like I said, I am a newbie and this is all info I've gotten throught research, but I HTH. You may want someone more expericened to give their opinion as well.

~Kayla

·
Registered
259 Posts
Mithrodia bradleyi is my favorite; I have never had a problem with it. It cruises the entire tank all the time rocks, sandbed front glass etc... If you want a starfish that is "visible and seen" 80 % of the time and is always on the move then this one is a good choice.

Now I am not guaranteeing that it is "Reef Safe" but it is a scavenger and I have softies, sps and Clams and the only thing it ever eats is and occasional dying Xenia (2 in six months), well worth it.

Heres a pic of him crusing the sandbed.

Attachments

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Mike, I read to where they could go Hannibal Lector on smaller clams, have you ever had one on top of the clams?

Ray

·
Registered
259 Posts
Yeap, all the time but it just keep on crusing... I have 6 Clams ranging from 1.5" babies to 7 " Monsters

·
Registered
259 Posts
Sand sifting stars will decimate a sand bed by eating everything in it, but yes they are considered reef safe, also... you'll never see them.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I am still up to One in a row. However with the heating problems I am having, I am worried. So I am gonna wait till I get anymore.

Ray

·
Registered
173 Posts
SERPENT Star

I have had a serpent star a couple of months now, and I have had nothing but good luck with it. I have seen it at night climb over coral and never touch it. It will stick out its arms when I feed the tank, and will even take pieces of shrimp from my aquarium tongs. Not totally visible, but fun none the less.

The only possible downside is that they can eat small fish, and I have not seen my Rainford Goby for a couple of weeks, that may just be coincidence though.

Hope this helps,
David

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.