The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used the No Sick Fish Ich Medication in their tanks? If so did it work and is is truly reef safe? I seem to have an ich problem in my tank, the tangs that have ich do get cleaned off by the cleaner shrimp but my clowns won't go near the shrimp and I just lost one to the ich.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
yup. What twitti just said. Sometimes if you feed them well and keep water quality high then it will go away. Check out the water before you drug up yr tank.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Do you have more than a 2 degree shift in tank temp in a 24 hour period. This can cause stress.
How old is the tank?

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
everyone's hitting on the right answer. You can get those quick fix ick treatments, but you gotta get to the heart of it.

Ick is usually brought on by stress.

Is the temp swinging considerably? (as Tom asked)

Is your pH in the right area? (what's it's range from morning to night)

Are your hands constantly in the tank? Obsessively so?

Is there a bully in the tank that's pickin on the infected fish?

What are your nitrate levels? What have they been recently?

Any ammonia/nitrite levels?

Are you topping off frequently? Or once every couple days? (i.e. Is your salinity fluctuating).

This are all things that can stress out a fish. A stressed fish has a lowered immune system. Making it extremely succeptible to Ick.

Looking forward to your response. We'd all LOVE to help you as best we can!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My temp does swing considerably throughout the day this past week, ranging from 85 to 88 degrees. Normally the tank temp stays pretty constant around 80-81 degrees, but it has gotten quite warm here and we have no AC or chiller. pH swings between 8.2 to 8.4. No bully in the tank and the only time my hands are in the tank is to target feed my anemone. Ammonia and Trites are both 0 and Trates are at 0.2ppm. Topoff a gallon a day, switching to an auto topoff by the end of the week.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
okay...sounds about right. (been there myself).

So while the auto-top off is a good idea...topping off once a day isn't bad enough to cause too much stress (unless it's a nano! hahaha).

But the temp swings ARE enough to cause MAJOR stress. Especially HIGH temp swings like that.

You can decide on whatever treatment you wish, as I don't want to come accross as forcing my opinion on that matter. But I do personally, feel stress reduction, garlic and a slightly increased diet is the BEST treatment for ick.

But all that aside, you DO need to get on top of fixing the temp swings asap. Adding fans over the sump to reduce temp (this WILL increase evap though...so keep an eye on that). Looking into a chiller (I know they're expensive...but depending on where you live and temps there...they can be a REQUIREMENT). lighting schedule changes can help with Temp too. I know you want to see the tank...but switching to lights on in the evening can help temperature problems significantly.

All in all, do whatever you decide with the Ick problem...but I'd focus more on the temp for now. Otherwise, you're gonna have a LOT of fish with Ick, and some other problems that are worse.

hope that helps.

And keep asking questions!!! ;)

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
As I am relatively new to reef keeping any and all advice is greatly appreciated. I will look into getting a chiller immediately.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Are you sure the clowns have ich? Hot water (and your water is HOT) can lead to Brooklynella, which is a different protozoan infestation than Cryp (ich).

If the clowns look "velvety"... have sloughing skin or blisters or a white filmy stuff on them it's not ich, it's Brook. Brook needs to be treated with formalin - and NOT in the main tank as formalin will kill off your inverts and ruin your live rock.

HTH

Jenn

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Having a fan blow across the top of tank will help keep down temp as well until you get the chiller.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Then it *could* be ich, but clowns rarely get that because of their unique slime coat.

Best treatment is in a Quarantine tank either with hyposalinity and/or Cupramine. Can't use those in the main display, sorry.

Jenn

·
Stinky Slimey FEESH
2,718 Posts
I agree with Mike (Skeety) - instead of dosing the tank with medicines, I would invest in a chiller (prepare for wallet shock!) and let your fish fight off the infection naturally. IME I have had much more luck fixing the bad tank problems (heat, chill, low pH, high salinity, phosphates) rather than dosing the water. It always seems to make problems worse.

Either way we will all be here to help!

HHC

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all for the advice. I went with the no medication route after I stabilized the temp and the ich seems for be going away.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts