The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First...I am soooo excited. Last night, I went out and bought a 125 gal tank and stand!:fireworks:
For those who have seen any of my other threads, I have been contemplating the future of my 55 gal. FOWLR. I want a reef tank, but hated to loose my FOWLR. :confused: I also had a tang that needed a larger home. :eek: I was just stuck with more questions than answers. So, last night, I called myself solving that problem and getting a second tank. My thought was, "Why decide between them? I'll have both! :ac15: The good news is that the tang does now have a sufficient house to grow up in :agree: The problem is that, now, I have even more questions. :confused::confused::confused: SO, need some opinions....
I have the 55 gal FOWLR with a yellow tang, yellow tail blue damsel, flame angel, 2 blue leg hermit crabs and a peppermint shrimp. Obviously, the tang will be moving into the 125 gal once it is set up. What I can't decide is which tank do I make the reef tank? My list of pro's and con's would make this post 2-3 feet long :icon_deal:and I'm sure noone wants to read that. (And, I don't want to type it!) So, what I am interested in, are those pro's and con's that I have not even considered :idea:eek:r don't know about since I have never set up a reef tank or a large tank of any kind. Maybe someone can tell me something that can help me make up my mind! Unfortunatley, we have to also consider this stuff>>>:fistcash:while making this decision. I have already blown my extra cash budget for the next 20 years! :bawling: I am REALLY HOPING for decent tax return!!!:biga: I have gotten so bad that I would rather buy fish stuff than groceries! This may be a great diet plan!!! I am afraid I would say, "Who needs electricity or water?" and not pay the bills, but luckily, the fish need electricity and water, so I have to cover those basics! All other cash goes into the tank! I am a saltwater junkie! :lol:Do they have a Reefkeepers Anonymous? :help:

Thanks in advance for your comments! Please keep them coming! The more info I can get, the better I can make my decision!

Felicia:mermaid:

· Registered
131 Posts
to many smiles but ill live

i would say it going to be easier to use the 125 as a reef and keep the 55 as a fowlr. you will have more room under tank for filter fuge and such. you can buy everything new not try and reuse things you already have. only downside i can see is its going to cost more to fill it with corals and fish then just fish. but thats part of the fun at least to me it is. get to go to the LFS every time you get some extra cash and you dont have to worry about where am i going to put this thing cuz you got lots of room. and once you get some fish in there it dose not look so empty. so me being me i say 125 reef and leave 55 the way it is(-tang). can you come up with the money for the extra equipment to use the 125 as a reef?? thats the big question?? you need a bigger skimmer. more power head and the list just keeps going. hope this helps

· My own ocean
1,663 Posts
If you are worried about spending even more money I would make the 55 the reef. Obviously the bigger the tank the heavier the cost. Then if you want fish that aren't reef safe that may get big you can put them in the 125gallon.

· Registered
2,325 Posts
I would go for the 125 too:D I have a 46 (close to a 55) and I want to upgrade to that size soo bad. Agreed tho money will have a large issue. I am also running out of space for my corals, so the more space the better.

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are worried about spending even more money I would make the 55 the reef. Obviously the bigger the tank the heavier the cost. Then if you want fish that aren't reef safe that may get big you can put them in the 125gallon.
This was my origional thought, also. I figured that if I used the 125 for the fish only, I could possibly get a large angel or some fish with some size to them. By leaving the 55 gal a FOWLR, I am really limited to the size of fish I can have and if it is a fish only and there are not any big fish, it is not as exciting. Making the 55 gal a reef makes it beautiful and using the 125 for some larger fish works good.
Only problem is that I have to buy new equipment for each tank this way. I have to upgrade everything on the 55 gal as well as purchase what I need for the 125 gal. I think it boils down to....either way, I am about to spend alot of money! Anybody got any used stuff for sale, PLEASE let me know! For either size tank!

I appreciate the comments. Looks like what everyone is saying is what I have already thought of, so at least I am on the right thought path! I just wanted to see if anyone had thought of any ideas that I had not yet considered! So, Thanks a bunch!

· Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
to many smiles but ill live

i would say it going to be easier to use the 125 as a reef and keep the 55 as a fowlr. you will have more room under tank for filter fuge and such. you can buy everything new not try and reuse things you already have. only downside i can see is its going to cost more to fill it with corals and fish then just fish. but thats part of the fun at least to me it is. get to go to the LFS every time you get some extra cash and you dont have to worry about where am i going to put this thing cuz you got lots of room. and once you get some fish in there it dose not look so empty. so me being me i say 125 reef and leave 55 the way it is(-tang). can you come up with the money for the extra equipment to use the 125 as a reef?? thats the big question?? you need a bigger skimmer. more power head and the list just keeps going. hope this helps
Sorry, to kill you with smilies. I guess with a username like "Boring," you probably are not that into the festive smilies! I toned it down for you in my last post, although I can't make any promises for future posts!

Hey! If you don't like smilies, you might make one exception for this one.:flamethrower:Not as nice, but, I am willing to compromise.

Thanks for your input, as always!

· Registered
157 Posts
personally, I would make the 125 a reef tank, transfer all the liverock, equipment and livestock from the 55 to the 125 and use the 55 as a sump. I myself would get more enjoyment out of a 125 reef tank, instead of two FOWLR tanks. Heck, I think that a 125 would take up tons of my time, let alone that and a 55!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.