The Reef Tank banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 200 gallon reef tank and was looking into the octopus skimmers, does anyone have a clue to which one of thier models would be best. I was looking into the extreme, super reef, and hurricane series. any suggestions?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
The hurricones are nice. But I would go for an MSX250 or 250a for that tank if you ahve the room.

·
Registered
27 Posts
well... good thing you chose octopus, I find there are really good. Do you want HOT skimmer ( hang on tank) or a in sump protein skimmer i am getting a 65 gallon reef tank and i am going to use a HOT skimmer they have a couple that are really good.

search up
-Reef Octopus Extreme 200
Protein Skimmer PS-OCT-EX200

that looks good and if you want to go with a different maker try
aquac remora protein skimmer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its for a sump, i am the one that has the 9x9 area for skimmer. Its a marineland sump and I am getting rid of it.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Me three -- go with MSX250a
I just received mine a week or so ago and its working awesome ON MY 180.
thinking I might sell the stuff its making as some sort of catfish bait additive since its so thick and STANKY ;) lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know everyone is going with the MSX-250. If I don't change my sump, I am looking into the Hurricone Category 2 External Skimmer, with the sump I have i can sit this on the out side and just have the pump inside. I think these are new and wasn't sure if anyone has had any experience with them.

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
PM MikeatJax he is my club president and has a Category 1 I believe. He just recently replaced it with a larger skimmer....but he would be a good person to ask. :)

·
Registered
511 Posts
IMHO if you don't go with an external skimmer then you really need to look at getting a larger sump that will hold a larger skimmer. A system the size of yours would be much better off with a skimmer that's at least 8" in diameter.

Anyone in the market for a skimmer right now should keep an eye on the Super Reef Series that Octopus has coming out. Not sure if anyone has actually gotten their hands on one yet, but if the data they're advertising is correct then these are going to really raise the bar for affordable, performance packed skimmers. They've got an internal space saver model that looks nice, wouldn't mind getting my hands on one to try out. :D Here's a link to one of them, they have smaller sizes too:

Link <<---

They're also coming out with some pretty incredible external models as well, like this 20" version... :shocked:

Link <<---

There's a lot, and I mean a lot of choices out there right now as far as skimmers go. Let us know what your spacing limits will be. How tall, how wide, internal or external, price range, and what your bioload is going to be like.

D

·
Tarpon
3,793 Posts
Those super reef octopus skimmers look like beasts! I want one sooooo bad! I guess I should get in line huh?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
They are nice skimmers, but from what I have been reading, they sillt dont compare to the MSX 250a or 300a. Either way, I wouldnt mind putting one in my system :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts