The Reef Tank banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - I am kinda wondering if I need to buy a new skimmer. I have a year old Reef Octopus (not certain of the model), that has handled my 125 + 40ish gal sump fine since I started it. It has been finiky (sp) as in, whenever it is restarted the pump makes a weird noise and doesnt really pump any substantial water for an hour or more, but will suddenly kicks in and would be fine. As long as I didnt power it off - this didnt occur and it ran like a champ.

My real problem began when I took it out recently to clean the entire body of the skimmer. I cleaned it well, but didnt use vinegar or anything - just warm water and elbow grease. When I replaced it - it now doesnt have the hesitant start, but it doesnt make real bubbles. There are a few, but it hasnt made skimmate in about a week.

I got so concerned, that I did a water change today to ensure I am not building up any DOCs or NH, (I dont trust tests - I KNOW its there! lol). Would yall give up and replace it? I took it apart down to the magnetic portion and everything seems fine - but when rebuilt - same issue.

Thanks for any ideas!!

Lance

Columbia, MO

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmm... not sure exactly what you mean.... the air flow is caused by the motor, so Im not sure how to stop or start it specifically. If you mean - did I pinch the air hose or something - I did not. Thanks though!

Btw - I didnt mention that the few bubbles it does make are of the micro bubble variety and are driving me nuts in the main tank... lol...

what a cruddy day......

·
Registered
213 Posts
well it doesent help that i dont know which skimmer this is,normally theres the air tube,and it comes with a white valve which your supose to close off until the circulation has started than open it to allow micro bubbles but like i said i have to see the skimmer

you could have burned the motor out or have a defective pump which is covered for a year sometimes 2

1 - 4 of 4 Posts