The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided to upgrade my protein skimmer from an ancient aqua medic that I bought over 12 years ago! Heres where I need help as you can see im not very experienced with protein skimmers but I narrowed it down to two skimmers
Red Sea C-Skim 1800 or a Reef Octopus( I dont know which model is good)

I have a 75 gallon reef connected to a 65 gallon fuge with a 45 gallon sump and an extra 10 gal wet/dry converted to sump. In total its around 200 gallons.

I would generally like to have an oversized skimmer, and my budget is 300-400 dollars
------Thanks in advance

·
Registered
54 Posts
Octopus hands down...I love mine! Im running a 200 NWB on my 150! The make a 150 and i think even a 160 model that I think would both be great on your 75, you would prob be fine even with a small model than the 150. Octopus make a hell of a product though! IMO

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
Octopus, no doubt. But I think the standard Octo will ultimately be too small (200NWB). I would suggest looking into the extreme models. As a minimum, I would personally grab the Extreme 200 with the bubbleblaster pump HY3000... or even go with a larger skimmer body and larger bubbleblaster pump. While the Bubbleblaster pump adds a bit of cost, it is the best performing pump for the price. I have seen this pump on a standard 8 inch skimmer body out perform a Vertex/Royal Exclusiv Alpha Cone.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Octopus, no doubt. But I think the standard Octo will ultimately be too small (200NWB). I would suggest looking into the extreme models. As a minimum, I would personally grab the Extreme 200 with the bubbleblaster pump HY3000... or even go with a larger skimmer body and larger bubbleblaster pump. While the Bubbleblaster pump adds a bit of cost, it is the best performing pump for the price. I have seen this pump on a standard 8 inch skimmer body out perform a Vertex/Royal Exclusiv Alpha Cone.
How about the "Reef Octopus Super Reef 2000 Internal Skimmer" It comes with the Bubble Blaster HY5000 pump. Is this one better than the Extreme 200 protein skimmer?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
The Super Reef Octos model number goes by the bubbleblaster pump number (1000 for the HY1000 pump, 2000 for the HY2000 pump, and so on). The extremes numbers go by an arbitrary tank size capacity like the older octos. Still, there is a big difference between the 200 NWB and the 200 extreme... (the extremes devastate the older NWB) that is because of the pump! However, I am not a big fan of the sicce (its a decent pump, but not a pump you can neglect) so I recommend the bubble blaster pump.

Yes, the "Super Reef" octo skimmer bodies are practically identical to extreme, just with difference outflow valves. You have to shop around for the price difference. Sometimes it can be cheaper to get the extreme with an upgraded pump or sometimes its better to get the "super reef". Just make sure you are getting the correct pump!

Finally, some "super reef" skimmers are cones and cost more money. I personally find cones to be more expensive than any added performance benefit. A skimmer with a long neck and a nice rising bubble column is fine. Expect (proximately) a 0-5% increase in skimmer performance with a cone but with a 30-50% increase in price. I personally have yet to see a benefit in the cone design. Skimmers come down to two basic things, pump performance (air/water mix) and skimmer body volume. The bigger the body, the more air/water can be skimmed. With a cone, the design naturally reduces the skimmer body volume. Now, a cone helps compared to a skimmer with a short neck, but having an extended neck or a Euroreef/Vertex designed neck eliminates the cone's advantage. This may sound strange but after modding a few skimmers, I have come to this conclusion. For example, I modded the old (gen 1) octo 150 with a cylinder skimmer body. This skimmer with a regular neck can handle a modded sicce psk 2500, the new cone octo (gen 2 or 3) can not handle the sicce without the pump being restricted. Go figure...

·
warren ohio
83 Posts
i looked at the new red sea 1800 at a persons home i went to, to buy some corals he had it on a 180g really look to pull tons of junk out of the tank he showed me how it worked prestty slick.
they have a new pump and it does out perform the c1200 by a lot they also it's reculating skimmer. with the neck wash system seems to be pretty good. but i think price will play a big factor. but the new reef ocatpus models are also great skimmers. im still stuck on my euro reefs and the cheaper asm g2. i just like things simple.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts