The Reef Tank banner
41 - 60 of 95 Posts

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
i still think this thread should be a sticky... much easier to find and remember when you see it every time you open the forum...

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
at least the warnings for test kits...

Maybe Danielle will contribute some site resources so we have a place to send ER docs when treating patients that have been envenomated and show up on the steps at an ER 1000 miles from the ocean... :eek: Even though most ER's HAVE the electronic access to these resources, it's always good to have a group of these types of resources in one place so we can send people who need to know to the resource site in an emergency.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Deltec MC500 protein skimmer
http://www.deltecusa.us/docs/MC500.pdf

Deltec AP series
http://www.deltecusa.us/docs/APSeries.pdf

Deltec MCE600
http://www.deltecusa.us/docs/MCE600.pdf

Deltec Turbo skimmers

http://www.deltecusa.us/docs/TurboSkimmers.pdf

Deltec Fluidised calcium Reactor PF509

http://www.deltecusa.us/docs/PF509.pdf

Deltech PF series Fluidised Calcium Reactor

http://www.deltecusa.us/docs/CalciumReactors.pdf

Kalkwasser mixer​

Deltec KM Series Calcium Hydroxide Mixers​

http://www.deltecusa.us/docs/KalkwasserStirrers.pdf

TUNZE

nanostream
http://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebrauchsanleitungen/x6025.8888.pdf

TUNZE
stream

http://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebrauchsanleitungen/x6101.8888.pdf

TUNZE
singlecontroller 7091

http://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebrauchsanleitungen/x7091.8888.pdf

TUNZE
Multicontroller 7095

http://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebrauchsanleitungen/x7095.8888.pdf

TUNZE
Wavebox 6212 and Wavebox extension 6212.50

http://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebrauchsanleitungen/x6212.8888.pdf

TUNZE
turbelle powerhead
600/2,800/2,1000/2,1200/2,1600/2,3000/2
electronic 5001

http://www.tunze.com/fileadmin/gebrauchsanleitungen/x5001.8888.pdf

·
Administrator
48,676 Posts
Thanks Danyen
Note: This information is believed to be correct, no warranty, express or implied is made to accuracy.
SECTION I
American Marine Inc.

MSDS

3/16/1997
54 Danbury Rd Suite 172Ridgefield,
CT 06877

Modified:
Emergency Phone: (914)763-5367

8/14/2002
PRODUCT: Selcon Concentrate 60ml
SECTION II - Hazardous Materials

%
None

*Contains only food and food or aquaculture grade vitamins and minerals, natural pigments and preservatives in quantities insufficient to pose hazard.
SECTION III
PHYSICAL DATA:
Appearance & Odor

Light orange appearance, slight vitamin odor pink opaque liquid
SECTION IV
FIRE & EXPLOSION DATA
Flash Point (method)

Nonflammable
Extinguishing Media

None required
Special Fire Fighting Procedure:

None
Unusual Fire Hazards

None
SECTION V
HEALTH HAZARD DATA
Effects of Overexposure:
Acute:
Eyes:

None known
Skin:

None, under normal circumstances
Inhalation:

None known
Ingestion:

No hazard under normal circumstances.
Chronic:
Routes of Exposure:

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
at least the warnings for test kits...

Maybe Danielle will contribute some site resources so we have a place to send ER docs when treating patients that have been envenomated and show up on the steps at an ER 1000 miles from the ocean... :eek: Even though most ER's HAVE the electronic access to these resources, it's always good to have a group of these types of resources in one place so we can send people who need to know to the resource site in an emergency.
You rang?

Regarding most marine envenomations, empiric attempts to denature the toxin are generally recommended (Lionfish, stingrays, echinoderms, etc) by placing the affected limb into water at 114F.

A review of echinoderm envenomations: http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic158.htm

A review of general marine dangers:
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/512590_2

In a true emergency, it doesn't matter what you've been zapped with. If facing airway issues or circulatory collapse, management is my problem, not yours. Call 911 and we will look up whatever we need to. I have an endless supply of references, including subscription services and even an online network of physicians should you come up with something to stump me.

Where it would be helpful:
a) You have this strange bump on your finger that's been there for a long time, and you noticed after messing around in your tank. Same goes for weird rashes. These aren't emergencies, but there are certain bacteria in saltwater that we think about if we know you're a fisherman...

b) You keep some sort of exotic critter that could kill you. (Blue-ringed octopus, Box jellyfish, etc) - Put a card in your wallet or signs on your walls that the paramedics wouldn't miss. It may not matter anyway, as I'm not going to pause from my full court press to save you to look up some esoteric toxin. I'll empty my code cart first.

c) If you ever have any signs of serious allergic (re: anaphylactic) reaction to anything in your tank, you need to have an epi-pen available. Just in case. I mean, I break out in hives if I brush against hydroids. I avoid them. But I'm aware of it. It's like a bee sting allergy... but then again, it's like a bee sting allergy. If you show up at my door, we follow a common pathway to try to save your life.

Oh, and if you do get exposed to this mythical palytoxin that does not appear in the medical literature (I looked, and if anyone can find a reference to any case report of dermal or transdermal intoxication, I'd appreciate it), you are going to get the same treatment anyone else presenting with cardiovascular collapse gets. Oh, and if you do, and happen to survive, I want to hear about it.

The initial citation:
Moore, Richard, and Scheuer, Paul. Palytoxin: A New Marine Toxin from a Coelenterate. Science 30 April 1971: Vol. 172. no. 3982, pp. 495 - 498.

There are plenty of reports of people dying from palytoxin, however they are all secondary to ingesting fish that have ingested dinoflagellates that have ingested... and so on. None in the US that I could find. Interestingly, palytoxin is now being blamed for deaths previously declared related to ciguatura poisoning. In any case, I cannot find any that have anything to do with handling the originating species, which, according to Hawaiian legend, is found in only one tidepool. (Is it really? Who knows.) Moral of the story? You could still get hit by a bus and are more likely to die in a car crash anyway.

Gosh, I didn't mean for that to come off like a rant. I guess my bottom line is just to be smart and know what you're dealing with. Which is why a reef MSDS is a great idea!

Danielle

·
Administrator
48,676 Posts
Thank You Danielle, from an ER Docs perspective thats great, cause when someone comes in presenting symptom x Drs will treat it.
I have posted in the past that its a real good idea for reefers to keep a list of tank inhabitants, updated and current, handy to the tank.
If anyone ever comes home to find a family member who's been playing in the tank. on the floor cyanotic and doing the funky chicken a list that can be given to EMS personnel may be a life saver, it certainly won't hurt. It gives the staff a point to start from.
Most people go thru years in the hobby with no issues, but if you are that guy that reacts badly to some encounter, anything to stave off disaster can be a blessing.
Way back in the 70s when I got into Marine fish hobby, I had a lion fish, got stung, reacted badly, and EMS was called. Fortunatly one of the ambulance guys was into SW and saw the lion, put 2+2 together and I got the treatment I needed, really lucky break considering I live out in BFE , way past Podunk. Luckily the big hospital nearby was becoming a regional poison control and Trauma Center, but when things go bad stack the cards in your favor

·
Administrator
48,676 Posts
Material Safety Data Sheet
ITW Performance Polymers - Versachem
1 of 5
PLASTIC WELDING SYSTEM ACTIVATOR
This product appears in the following stock number(s):
1. CHEMICAL PRODUCT AND COMPANY IDENTIFICATION
Tradename: PLASTIC WELDING SYSTEM ACTIVATOR
General use: Adhesive.
Chemical family: Acrylate
2. COMPOSITION/INFORMATION ON INGREDIENTS
Ingredient Abbr. Weight Percent ACGIH TLV: OSHA PEL: Other Limits
METHYL METHACRYLATE
80-62-6
MMA 60-100 50 ppm TWA 100 ppm TWA; 410
mg/m3 TWA
100 ppm Canada
3,5-DIETHYL-1,2-DIHYDRO-1-
PHENYL-2-PROPYLPYRIDINE
34562-31-7
n/e 1-10 n/e n/e n/e
TRADE SECRET (Non-hazardous)
MIXTURE
n/e balance n/e n/e n/e
"TLV" means the Threshold Limit Value exposure (eight-hour, time-weighted average, unless otherwise noted) established by the American Conference
of Governmental Industrial Hygienists. "STEL" indicates a short-term exposure limit. "PEL" indicates the OSHA Permissible Exposure Limit. "n/e"
indicates that no exposure limit has been established. An asterisk (*) indicates a substance whose identify is a trade secret of our supplier and unknown
to us.
3. HAZARDOUS IDENTIFICATION
Emergency Overview
Appearance, form, odor: paste with varied fragrant odor
WARNING!. Eye, skin and respiratory irritant. Skin sensitizer. Harmful if inhaled or absorbed through skin. Chronic
overexposure may cause liver and kidney effects.
Potential health effects
Primary Routes of Exposure: Eye. Skin. Inhalation (breathing), skin absorption
Symptoms of acute overexposure
Skin: May cause irritation and skin sensitization. May be absorbed through skin in harmful amounts.
Eyes: Moderate eye irritant (stinging, burning sensation, tearing, redness, swelling). May cause corneal damage.
Inhalation: Central Nervous System Depression: signs/symptoms can include headache, dizziness, drowsiness,
incoordination, slowed reaction time, slurred speech, giddiness and unconsciousness.
Ingestion: Causes irritation, a burning sensation of the mouth, throat and gastrointestinal tract and abdominal pain.
Effects of Chronic Exposure: Prolonged exposure may lead to kidney, lung, heart and liver damage.
1 of 5
MANUFACTURER
ITW Performance Polymers - Versachem
2107 West Blue Heron Blvd.
Riviera Beach, FL 33404
EMERGENCY INFORMATION
Emergency telephone number
(CHEMTREC): (800) 424-9300
(CHEMTREC International): 703-527-3887
Other Calls: (561) 845-2425
Part No: 0905 ITW Performance Polymers - Versachem
Ingredient Weight
Percent
NTP ACGIH
Carcinogens
IARC
METHYL METHACRYLATE
80-62-6
60-100 male rat-no evidence;
female rat-no
evidence; male miceno
evidence; female
mice-no evidence
A4 - Not Classifiable
as a Human
Carcinogen
Group 3: Monograph 60,
Medical Conditions Recognized as Being Aggravated by Exposure:
Persons with preexisting respiratory, liver, kidney, eye or skin diseases may be adversely affected..
Other:
MMA: Developmental toxicity observed in animal tests, but only at levels toxic to the mother. MMA is reported to impair
human olfactory function, Overexposure to pyridine and some of its derivatives may include weakness, dizziness, nausea,
loss of consciousness, loss of appetite and sleep disturbances
4. FIRST AID MEASURES
Eye Contact: In case of contact, immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical
attention if irritation persists.
Skin Contact: Remove contaminated clothing. Wash area with soap and water. If irritation persists, seek medical
attention.
Inhalation: If inhaled, remove from area to fresh air. Get medical attention if respiratory irritation develops or if breathing
becomes difficult.
Ingestion: Do not induce vomiting. Slowly dilute with 1-2 glasses of water or milk and seek medical attention. Never give
anything by mouth to an unconscious person.
5. FIRE FIGHTING MEASURES
General fire and explosion characteristics: Vapor forms explosive mixture with air.
Recommended Extinguishing Media: Carbon dioxide, Dry chemical, foam
Special Fire-Fighting Procedures: Evacuated unprotected personnel. Firefighters shoud wear self-contained breathing
apparatus and protective clothing to prevent all skin and eye contact. Use water spray to cool exposed containers. Fight
fire from a distance as the heat may rupture the containers.
Unusual Fire/Explosion Hazards:
Closed containers may rupture or explode when exposed to extreme heat. Vapors may travel from container toward
sources of ignition and flashback.
Hazardous Products of Combustion:
Toxic vapors may be released upon thermal decomposition (cyanide, nitrogen oxides)
6. ACCIDENTAL RELEASE MEASURES
Spill Control: Avoid personal contact. Eliminate ignition sources. Ventilate area.
Containment: Dike, contain and absorb with clay, sand or other suitable material.
Cleanup: For large spills, pump to storage/salvage vessels. Soak up residue with an absorbent such as clay, sand or
other suitable material and dispose of properly. Add inhibitor to prevent polymerization.
Special procedures: Prevent spill from entering drainage/sewer systems, waterways and surface water. Use nonsparking
tools.
2 of 5
Flash point: 50°F
Method: TCC
Upper Explosive
Limit: 12.5%
Lower Explosive
Limit: 2.1%
7. HANDLING AND STORAGE
Handling precautions: Avoid breathing vapors or mists. Avoid contact with the skin and the eyes. Wash thoroughly after
handling. Ground container when pouring. Do not use near heat, sparks and open flame. Use non-sparking tools.
Storage: Keep in cool and dark place. Avoid direct sunlight. Keep containers closed when not in use. Maintain air space in
storage containers.
8. EXPOSURE CONTROLS/PERSONAL PROTECTION
Engineering controls
Ventilation:
Use ventilation that is adequate to keep employee exposure to airborne concentrations below exposure limits (or to the
lowest feasible levels when limits have not been established). Although good general mechanical ventilation is usually
adequate for most industrial applications, local exhaust ventilation is preferred (see ACGIH - Industrial Ventilation). Local
exhaust may be required for confined areas (see OSHA CFR29 1910.146)
Other engineering controls: Keep container tightly closed. Observe label precautions. Have emergency shower and eye
wash available.
Personal protective equipment
Eye and face protection: Full face shield with chemical goggles if liquid contact is likely, or safety glasses with side
shields.
Skin protection: Chemical-resistant gloves (i.e. butyl) and other gear as required to prevent skin contact.
Respiratory protection: A NIOSH/MSHA air purifying respirator with an organic vapor cartridge may be permissible,
however use a positive pressure air supplied respirator if there is any potential for uncontrolled release, or unknown
exposure levels.
9. PHYSICAL AND CHEMICAL PROPERTIES
10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
This material is chemically stable. Hazardous polymerization may occur
Conditions to Avoid: Excessive heat Sunlight/Radiation Inert gas blanketing
Incompatabilities: Strong oxidizers, Strong alkalies, strong mineral acids, reducing agents, Material is a strong solvent
and can soften paint and rubber
Hazardous Products of Combustion: Toxic vapors may be released upon thermal decomposition (cyanide, nitrogen
oxides)
Conditions under which hazardous polymerization may occur: Excessive heat, storage in the absence of inhibitor and
inadvertant addition of catalyst.

·
Administrator
48,676 Posts
PART 2
3 of 5
Vapor Density (Air=1): 3.5
Vapor Pressure: 28 mmHg @ 68°F Evaporation Rate: 3 (butyl acetate = 1)
Boiling Point: 213°F
VOC: <50 g/l (mixed) Solubility in water: Not determined.
Melting point: n/d
pH (5% solution or slurry in water): 4.5-5.5
Specific Gravity: 0.96
11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Eye irritation: No data available.
Subchronic effects: Inhalation: Repeated exposure of MMA at 5-100 times the TLV include lung damage, pulmonary
irritation, liver changes, eye irritation, nasal tissue changes, incoordination and upper respiratory irritation. Ingestion: Liver
and kidney effects with altered function in both organs. Skin permeation may occur.
Carcinogenicity, tertogenicity and mutagenicity: Possible reproductive hazard based on animal data
Other chronic effects: Inhalation: long term exposure of MMA caused inflammation of the nasal cavity, changes in nasal
sensory cells and decreased body weight. Ingestion: Can cause decreased body weight and increased kidney weight.
Toxicological information on hazardous chemical constituents of this product:
Ingredient Oral LD50 (rat) Dermal LD50 (rabbit) Inhalation LC50 4hr (rat)
METHYL METHACRYLATE
80-62-6
7872 mg/kg >5 g/kg 78 mg/L/4h; 4632ppm/4h;
40oppm/1h
3,5-DIETHYL-1,2-DIHYDRO-1-PHENYL-2-
PROPYLPYRIDINE
34562-31-7
n/d n/d n/d
MIXTURE
n/d n/d n/d
'n/d' = not determined
_
12. ECOLOGICAL INFORMATION
Ecotoxicity: MMA has: estimate of 96 hour median threshold limit: 100-1,000 ppm; 96 hour LC50, fathead minnow: 150
ppm; 96 hour LC50, bluegill sundish: 232 ppm. MMA has: LC50 = 85 mg/l. 96 hour, rainbow trout (slightly toxic);
EC50>130 mg/l, 48 hour, daphnia nagna (partically non-toxic); EC50 = 0.6 mg/l, 96 hour, algae (highly toxic).
Mobility and persistence: MMA is partially biodgradable in water. BOD-5 day: 0.14 g/g-0.90 g/g; THOD: 1.92 g/g. MAA
readily biodegraded (86% within 28 days) under aerobic conditions.
Environmental fate: MMA produces high tonnage material in wholly contained systems. Liquid with moderate mobility.
Sparingly soluble in water. High potential for bioaccumulation. Low mobility in soil
13. DISPOSAL CONSIDERATIONS
Please see also Section 15, Regulatory Information.
Recommended Method of Disposal: Do not dispose of in a landfill. Incineration is the preferred method of disposal..
US EPA Waste Number: D001.
14. TRANSPORT INFORMATION
Proper shipping name: *Adhesives
Technical name: N/A
Hazard class: 3
UN/ID Number: 1133
Packing group: II
Emergency Response Guide no: 128
IMDG page number: Not determined
4 of 5
Other: Containers <30 liters are PG III. *Depending upon the size and type of container, this material may be reclassified
as "Consumer Commodity, ORM-D" for shipments within the United States, or "Limited Quantity" elsewhere. Refer to the
appropriate regulation.
15. REGULATORY INFORMATION
U.S. Federal Regulations
TSCA:
All ingredients of this product are listed or are exempt from listing on the TSCA Inventory.
The following RCRA code(s) applies to this material if it becomes waste:
D001
Regulatory status of hazardous chemical constituents of this product:
Ingredient Extremely
Hazardous*
Toxic Chemical** CERCLA RQ (lbs) 12B EXPORT
NOTIFICATION:
METHYL METHACRYLATE
80-62-6
No Yes 1000 lbs. (454 kg) Not required
3,5-DIETHYL-1,2-DIHYDRO-1-PHENYL-2-
PROPYLPYRIDINE
34562-31-7
No No 0.0 Not required
MIXTURE
No No 0.0 Not required
*Consult the appropriate regulations for emergency planning and release reporting requirements for substances on the SARA Section 301 Extremely
Hazardous Substance List.
**Substances for which the "Toxic Chemical" column is marked "Yes" are on the SARA Section 313 list of Toxic Chemicals, for which release reporting
may be required. For specific requirements, consult the appropriate regulations.
For purposes of SARA Section 312 hazardous materials inventory reporting, the following hazard classes apply to
this material: Immediate health hazard, Delayed health hazard, Fire hazard, Reactivity hazard
California regulations: For purposes of the California Safe Drinking Water and Toxic Enforcement Act of 1986 (Prop 65),
this product does not contain any chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other
reproductive harm.
Canadian regulations
WHMIS Hazard Class: B2 FLAMMABLE LIQUIDS, D2B TOXIC MATERIALS,
All components of this product are on the Domestic Substances List
Regulatory Notes: In normal use, the methyl methacyrlate in this product is polymerized during cure. For purposes of air
quality regulations, the maximum amount of VOC (i.e.MMA) emitted is negligible (less than 5%). Actual emissions are a
function of substrate and process and should be considered on an individual basis
16. OTHER INFORMATION
Hazardous Material Information System (HMIS) rating:
Health 2* Flammibility 3 Physical Hazard 2
HMIS is a registered trademark of the National Paint and Coatings Assn.
Revision Date: 11/14/2005
Revision Number: 2
The information and recommendations in this document are based on the best information available to us at the time of preparation, but we make no
other warranty, express or implied, as to its correctness or completeness, or as to the results of reliance on this document.
5 of 5

41 - 60 of 95 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.