The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay gang.
as pointed out by ScruffyRubicon and seconded by marineduud.

an area of Reef MSDS and i am thinking a instructuion manual area is a good idea.
lets look at our reef equipment and things for or in our tank.
the example for all of this was the OZONE accident.
ScruffyRubicon gave this MSDS for it.OZONE

SO take a look and see what you can and cannot find.

MSDS= material Safety Data sheet.
this is the papers on the item you are using , the dangers, the health risks, what to do if it is spilled, eaten etc..

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
I want to know how ethyl cyanoacrylate gel in combination with aquamend absolutely destroys my fingers. One or the other doesnt hardly phase me to get all over my fingers....the two together splits my fingers like nothing else.
I'll work on that one.

·
Super Moderator
10,749 Posts
Two different MSDS for Pura PhosLock 1 & 2

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Now for a tougher one. Palytoxin. I googled it with no success. Would be interested in signs and symptoms of exposure as well as treatment or antidote. Maybe some of you Dr types could come up with something?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
whereis that term from?
Do you mean palytoxin? That is the chemical that paythoa (sp?) corals (and maybe zooanthids if I remember right) release. There was an article on the other reef site a couple years ago about a guy who's dog ate the frags he had in a bucket for a frag swap. Can't rmember now if it killed the dog or not. Some indigenous pacific islanders used it to tip their spears.

·
Premium Member
20,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
it is a very quick to kill too. i have not come across any info on reversing it

If exposure is expected, pretreatment with hydrocortisone an hour beforehand may offer protection
great info all!

dont forget you can add other manuals too. got a pump? lighting system, wiring?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
<TABLE cellPadding=5 border=0><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=top>Onset of Symptoms</TH><TD>Rapid, with death occurring within minutes.</TD></TR>
</TBODY></TABLE>
<TABLE cellPadding=5 border=0><TBODY><TR><TH vAlign=top>Antidote</TH><TD>Vasodilators are effective if delivered immediately by injection into the ventricle of the heart. The most effective are papverine and isosorbide dinitrate. If exposure is expected, pretreatment with hydrocortisone an hour beforehand may offer protection.

Unfortunately, I work in EMS and neither of the drugs listed is carried on our ambulances, nor have I seen them listed in any of the literature I've read.
</TD></TR>
</TBODY></TABLE>

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Do you mean palytoxin? That is the chemical that paythoa (sp?) corals (and maybe zooanthids if I remember right) release. There was an article on the other reef site a couple years ago about a guy who's dog ate the frags he had in a bucket for a frag swap. Can't rmember now if it killed the dog or not. Some indigenous pacific islanders used it to tip their spears.

This is taken from what Tims linked also

Several species of Palythoa are used in aquariums, but do not produce the toxin. Originally, it was only found in a single tidal pool on the island of Maui in Hawaii and native Hawaiians used to coat spear points with a red

·
11,345 Posts
Last I read up on it there were only two species of palythoa that actually carried the deadly toxin palytoxin. neither of which are available in the hobby.

That is not to say that there arent other toxins that can make you sick or even kill small animals that ingest it. I have been sick several times from fragging carelessly. Just headaches and nausea though......

1 - 20 of 95 Posts