The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang,
Really in need of some information. I built a (diy) reef lighting kit using 2 soft white compact flourescent flood light, 2 daylight compact flourescent flood lights and 2 bright compact flourescent flood light. Each being 14 w= 50 watt incandescent; a total of 300 w. Daylight = 5100 (10200) k, bright=3500 k (7000), soft white=2700 k (5400). Does anyone know how that compares to a 48"x 4x54 store bought actinic reef light? Is the (diy) lighting enough light? I am not good with all the info. out there on lighting for reef tanks.

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
Welcome to TRT. It is enough lighting for a fish only tank but you will not be able to support much in the way of coral with those lights. One of the bigger chunks of money that comes with reefing goes into the light fixxture. If you want to go flourescent then consider T5HO with 10K bulbs or higher.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank You. I ordered a different lighting with four t5's and blue moon light a total of 216 watt. Will that be enough?

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,097 Posts
If the light you ordered is T5 it is a little better than what you have but if it is T5HO then you are in much better shape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts