The Reef Tank banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m looking for lighting for my 100 gallon reef tank need recommendation I have these 2 options that I’ve been looking at. I would be getting two of them for lighting please let me know if I’m looking in the right ballpark
VIPARSPECTRA Timer Control 165W LED Aquarium Light Dimmable Full Spectrum for Coral Reef Grow Fish Tank or Phlizon 165W Dimmable Full Spectrum Auqarium LED Light Fish Tank LED Reef Decoration Light for Saltwater Freshwater Fish Coral Reef

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,434 Posts
+1 what type of coral will you keep?

The problem with both of those lights is that they come from the same "group" of discount lights that are notoriously inconsistent and prone to failure.

There is a reason why main-stream lights cose $400+ and why $120-ish one are for sale through 3-rd party vendors (and avoided).

These lights are likely using low-quality/low batch LEDs that produce less light and have to be driven harder to support coral (decreased life).

Look to an AI Hydra 26 is a cost effective option or consider building your own from Rapid LED.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I have 3 of the ViaSpectra 165 timer control lights on my tank. They work fine but you have to keep them dim, turning them up very slowly, or keep nothing directly under the main beams if you want them all the way up. My lights are hung 8 inches off the surface and my brightest one is at 35% blues and 10% whites, the other 2 are at 15% blues and 5% whites. At this setting for the last 6 months I am growing zoanthids, birdsnest coral, mushrooms, pulsing xenias, 3 colors of plating montipora, encrusting montipora, candy cane coral, duncans, etc. (basically all the "easy" corals) My anemone is happy and beaultiful, i also grow chaeto and macro algae in the tank for the tangs, the crabs and shrimp molt regularly, and the fish are great. These lights work but again, ive had them less than a year, but so far ive been very happy with out the extreme price tag but DO NOT start them at 100%.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have a 100 gallon tank and have two Viaspectra running on it. just added the second a few days ago. as the post above states, I also run blues at 35 and whites at 10. i start them different times so it doesnt blind the fish when it turns on in the mmorning. i have one come on at 10am blue and the second light 11am blue. whites come on at 12 for both lights and one turns off at 8pm and the other at 9. all my corals are doing just fine with these lights. I had one light and everything suffered on the outside of the tank.. the second made a huge difference as now there is light everywhere and it is well balanced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts