The Reef Tank banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a dilemma I'm getting a new tank with a hood that has a lighting fixture inside that won't support a reef. I am aiming for a lps dominent reef tank. I also need to keep the hood as going to have a flasher wrasse and a watchman goby.
Does anyone have any idea how i could incorporate reef lighting into the hood or any other way i could get reef lighting whilst making sure my fish can't jump out and die

Thanks

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
with a little creativity, you can mount new lights into any hood.

some may require more creativity than others ;)

J.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
i think he wants to keep the hood on to prevent the jumpers from becoming fish jerkie ;)

J.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah trying to keep the hood, do you know if anytime of lighting would be easier to fit into the hood, t5, led.. ? thanks for the replies

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
Do you mean the Aquael Classic 100 Aquarium...are you in the UK?
if it is, then you should be able to replace the T8 bulbs with a T5HO retrofit kit.

found this picture on their site.

or... you can ditch the plastic hood and get a different reef light fixture.

J.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok but the thing with ditching the hood is that I'm thinking of getting a mccoskers flasher wrasse which are notoriously known for jumping.

Yes based in Uk

·
BB Reefer
193 Posts
You could hand a t5 fixture or other lighting from the ceiling and add a screen lid.

·
Registered
7,602 Posts
if it is, then you should be able to replace the T8 bulbs with a T5HO retrofit kit.

found this picture on their site.

or... you can ditch the plastic hood and get a different reef light fixture.

J.
Nice find jph! +1 to enough room for a retro fit.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts