The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<HR style="COLOR: #000000" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->just wanting to know what you all think of my levels and yes i know they are off a little please help with any suggestions

PH 7.8 to 8.0:freak:

Nitrite 0.00

Nitrate 20:freak:

Ammonia .50:freak:
Please HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
I wouldn't be to concerned with the PH at all. There have been reports that latelly 7.9 might be a little more accurate to the ocean PH. I tend to run mine a little higher but have been as low as 7.8 with no ill effects. The important thing is that it doesn't have a major swing from one end to the other. Major IMO is .7-.9 difference in one day. Ammonia is high should be at 0 and nitrate should be as stated above about 10 or less. This also depends on what you are keeping for corals.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no it is a tank that has been up about 1 1/2 years so i should not be having this jump i know my ph a few weeks ago was way higher so what do all think i need to do or add to my tank to hellp out with issue

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok i may sound stupid but what kind of a water change like how much water i have a 72 gal bow front would you all be worried about those levels that i have

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
The worse thing you can do right now is change ph too fast. Here are a few reasons why. ( Tank Crash 04) Found tank @ 7.4 and overbuffed too fast. Kack after a week of bleaching most corals were dead.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
on a 72 personally i would do 30 gallons (roughly 40%) wait about 5 days and do another. Kent super DkH buffer works great when doing water changes

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Super Buffer DKH is what I was using when this happened. Great product....just measure well.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
yes, measure to the water you are changing, not the total water of the tank.... i did that once too...........

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
rihanssu said:
yes, measure to the water you are changing, not the total water of the tank.... i did that once too...........

:lol: I did that once also... Just once though.:p :lol:

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
i think you should tell us more about your system so we can find the source of the problem. a water change is a temp fix. there is other problems here. tell us what equiptment you have and your maintaince routine. then we can help fix the problem for good and not temp.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If the animals in the tank look good but you are concerned about testing results than......quit testing.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Havre said:
If the animals in the tank look good but you are concerned about testing results than......quit testing.
Just kidding.....Ammonia should always be 0 or its very bad. Kinda like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts