The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Folks,
I really hope this will be one of happiest experiences. Most of you know I am starting my 2nd reef tank today. My first Tank was lost due to poor advice, lack of knowledge, and one really hard move. I swore off the hobby two years ago, but as you can see that didn't last.

This tank has the pleasure of being accompanied with 100's of hours of reading, and a little more cash (thanks to the all mighty Wife God!). Better equipment, the right size sand, and a brand new RO/DI unit probably won't hurt either.

A little about the tank.
Its a 60g tall 36X18X24H.
Lights will be two advance ballast 250w Iwasaki's, and two 96w PC Actinics.
Sump (this changed yesterday as I found a cheep 40g) Will be a 40 gallon breeder with two chambers, one for PS other for Ret pump.
Skimmer is a Urchin with the Maxi-jet upgrade (two many rio stories)
Heater, I am a screaming coward when it comes to glass heaters, so I went with a 200w Titanium, and will probably order a smaller one for a back up.
Multi Maxi-Jets for cirulation.
Mag 9.5 for a return pump.
Aquatic Reef Systems 4stage 50gpd RODI unit
Auto top off, will be a rubbermaid tub with a slow drip for kalk
I will add a rubbermaid Fuge sometime in the future

Today I will begin working on the stand (if the lumber gets here early enough) which is going to be very similar to a stand already started by Jay TFM.

Lastly, I pulled the tank out of storage last night and I had forgotten how filthy it was when I bought it. So here is a pic of just what we are working with, and Ill keep everyone updated on how it is going.

let me know if I am keeping you TOOOO informed, I tend to get carried away when I am excited about something!!!!!!!!!

First attempt at attaching a picture, the size is ok, but not sure if this will work!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more attempt before I give up completely, and quick reefing again!! WAAAAAAAAAAAA

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
the lumber is being DELIVERED?!?!?!?

oh man, and you guys cracked on me for having the lumber precut.. sheesh!!

btw: a REAL diyer would build the stand with NO power tools, using only hand saws and screwdrivers :D

any bets on what takes longer...the stand building or the tank cleaning... i'm in for 10 :funny:

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
thefatman said:
the lumber is being DELIVERED?!?!?!?

oh man, and you guys cracked on me for having the lumber precut.. sheesh!!

btw: a REAL diyer would build the stand with NO power tools, using only hand saws and screwdrivers :D

any bets on what takes longer...the stand building or the tank cleaning... i'm in for 10 :funny:
he has not been here long enough, yet.;)

we do not want to scare him away already.

G~

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The real question is this,
What will take longer, the tank building, or the temper tantrum that ensues when its not level.

Dave

BTW, TFM HARSH!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey Dave good luck on your up and coming tank. Hope everything goes smooth this time. :beer:

-Paul

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
:funny: oops. what's the marker for "been here long enough" do we go by posts, or by days? i always forget these things :funny:

dave, that's what the styrofoam is for on mine. i can guarantee it's not level :) well, it's level front to back and side ot side. but the top shelf has some waves in it :)

i wont even think about putting a level to the side cabinet or the canopy.. but oh well it's not supporting anythign important :D

oh yeha and dave... be sure to stock up on excedrine.. i did.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jay jinxed me. The lumber yard showed up, and instead of 7 8' 2X4's, he brought 8 7' 2X4's, so I had to go back to the lumberyard or wait till tomorrow. Then to top it all off, he forgot the 3/4" plywood, so I had to get it while I was there, but it wouldn't fit in the explorer so guess what, now Im a big sissy who had the lumberyard cut his plywood for him!!!!

Curse you JAY!!!

Dave

: )

·
Registered
179 Posts
ReefDave said:
The real question is this,
What will take longer, the tank building, or the temper tantrum that ensues when its not level.

Dave

BTW, TFM HARSH!!!!!!!!
Level ???????!!????

No-one ever said anything about these things having to be level!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, I got the lumber brought in, and all of the and out of the tank. The the tiny white snail looking shells that were still stuck to the glass where a real pain to scrape off, so as a result I didn't even get the tank completely cleaned before I had to go pick up my boy. So that means I only have one picture to show for my hard work today......This is for Jay.....What REAL WOOD looks like.

Dave

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BTW, my definition of level is "If any part of the bubble inside the level is touching either one of the lines, then it is level".

Dave

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
/me thinks buzz is jealous!

Well, the good news is, the baby went to sleep, so I was able to finish cleaning the tank.

The bad news is I dropped the camera, and now the lens won't open!!!!!!!!!!!

Dave : (

·
Registered
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well,
Just got off the phone with the camera shop. My camera's warranty was up on the 7th of May. Repair is going to be 170-280 dollars. So, that hurts bad.

Dave

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
I'm sorry dave, i didn't know i wasnt supposed ot give murphy your address :D sorry man, but i had to get him off my back for at least a little while :D

aren't DIY projects so much fun :funny: but oh so rewarding in the end!

glad you got off to a start though. i hope your camera is ok. now that, wouldn't be funny.

let's hope tommorrow is a better day for ya!

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
DOH!! nevermind.. man sorry to hear that dave!

well looks like the project is on hold. you can't continue without proper photo documentation. it's against the DIY rules.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts