The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
ICH is work of the DEVIL
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you find Reef Central to be (generally) a younger crowd??

It seems the crowd there is mostly 20-somethings who give you quick, thin answers. I've recvd more in-depth answers here from what seems to be an older more experienced crowd.

just my opinion....I like it here alot more...didnt mean for this to be a post bashing Reef Central if you like that board....just an observation.

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
it seems to me, that RC has too many people that pop on and shoot too many different opinions at you, there are many ways to reach the same outcome, and you never get to talk to one person on there, its usually thousands of people, here its more like a family to me, you know everyone, you can joke around, and no one will yell at you. and plus we have clifford here. how can you beat that?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
yah pop in there from time to time. Does seem to be a much more obnoxious crowd at times. I like it here cause most of the people here are here to stay like Andy said. You know everyone just about.

·
11,345 Posts
Reef central doesnt have the 'no flaming" atmosphere. Newbies can get brutalized for asking the normal questions and gregt and his team here have built soehting that is just the opposite. Thre is no such thing as a stupid question and help will come in a frioendly manner. As well, we all try our best here to keep things civil and friendly even when we are rubbed wrong.
But, with that being said, you still should never discount the wealth of experience and knowledge that resides at reef central, they have a much larger member base, and alot of people who know what the heck they are doing. I go there at times when i cant find an answer i want here, as well as the classifieds section there is MUCH more productive for buying and selling.
But most importantly, like said before, it is kind of like family here, we are all friends who share a common passion, regardless of how exactly we go about doing it....

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
I agree, I see new to the hobby type people get either flamed or given bad advice. I also do not care for their Mods. It seems like they are in their 20 somethings also and all to quick to ban people from the site. I think Greg has a great thing going here. We even moved our club to TRT do the the quick tempered mods

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
I agree with fly, Im on here pretty much all day at work (even though I should be working more) and its great that I get to pick the brains of people that are nice enough to even give you a call and explain it to you when the written word just doesnt do it. I still do check out reef central since the local club here has its own section and there is a wealth of knowledge over there since there are alot more experiences spoken about over there.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I've never been to rc I stumbled upon this site by accident and fell in love with it so no need to look further:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I bounce in there from time to time. There are some subjects discussed, both reef related and not, that are not allowed here.

I do feel like there is a family here.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Great Post Fly!!!

thanks all.

every forum has its own personallity. some people fit in better with different personalities. it is all about personal tastes. i prefer to actually talk to people. i like the more personal feel of this board. one is not necessarily better in generaly, one could just be better for you. :D

G~

·
Super Moderator
22,142 Posts
Ditto to what Geoff said:thumbup: .
In the "old days' , i went there very seldom, i did not like to sort thru the mish mash of crud, to find what i wanted to know,,,I then found TRT,and have not been back since,,,don't miss it at all.
I like TRT for the friendly place that it is, and the people that make it up;) .I spend enuf time here (and on our sister board, Birds of a Feather) not to have that kinda time checking out other places,,,and thats fine with me.
TRT's a place someone does not have to worry about asking a question without someone jammin' them about asking a question that was asked in the past(we have a great archive/search section anyway,in case someone wants to learn something w/out posting a question)

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
He did say generally, Doug. ;)

LOL

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,659 Posts
Mo they are snobs that if your not in there click or if you don't have top of the line stuff they chop you down.That's why I havn't been on RC since I found TRT!

·
Registered
430 Posts
yeah, I got NO help there asking questions at a newb.. pretty lame if you ask me.. seems like the peeps there are not into some of what I consider to be the key elements of any hobby.. like, help new comers, be nice to them, welcome them! like everyone here does. Anyways.. my 0.02.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nobody knows everything! I know lots about certain areas such as cuttlefish but I know vertually nothing about coral...To the original question I am not that young.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
hmmm, keeping mental note that Bubbashrimp knows cuttlefish!!! :D

one of those awesome critters that i keep toying with keeping, but have found little info on keeping them. to little as in, not enough info for me to feel comfortable taking the plunge.

G~

1 - 20 of 61 Posts