The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a huge reef tank that has over 50 different corals in it. He uses reef crystals as his mix and does a water change weekly. The only additive that he uses is calcium. I am sick of adding all the chemicals, and I often forget to add one or two. I am thinking of taking this approach, but wanted to get everyone's take on it first. Any one here use reef crystals, and if not, what do you use and what additives do you use? Thanks!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i have found that after going to a BB system i did not have to dose my tank. water changes and top off using kalk kept the Ca and alk levels in acceptable levels. at least the 7 clams and 30 + SPS colonies did not seem to mind. if you can keep the nutrient levels low in the tank, you can cut down on the bacteria that are using up the alk in the system causing the Ca/alk levels to be all over the place.

G~

·
Eats Crayons
681 Posts
Water changes are generaly consider a good husbandry approach. Most salt mixes have everything our tanks need for the most part. I know alot of people who wont even put anything in their tanks they cant test for.

·
Premium Member
7,375 Posts
I use Reef Crystals and it's always worked for me. I dose kalk in any tank that contains stony corals. Other than that, I don't dose anything on a regular basis.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You guys are great! Appreciate all the advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts