The Reef Tank banner

Reduce aggression in pairing a clown fish??

2K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  SurfandTurf 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I was wondering about adding a second clown fish to pair with my first (who I've had for about 9 months). The clown is a little snippy - she seems to get along well with the six line wrasse (they always swim together) and sometimes nips at the firefish, but not always. I was speaking with my LFS and he recommended pairing a new clown with the existing one to help cut down on the aggression. I've never heard of this before and was wondering the following:

1) Does that really work? Would another clown reduce possible aggression in the first clown?

2) if you get a second clown fish NOT at the same time as the first, does it need to be the same species (occelaris)?

3) I'm worried about having too many fish in the biocube (see current setup/paramaters below) - I've never had any issues with water quality or nitrates being too high, and don't want to start...but would love to get another fish.

4) Have been toying with the idea of getting a protein skimmer to handle "excessive" bioload, if the below counts as excessive....

Would welcome any thoughts!! thanks!

I have a 29g biocube with the following inhabitants:

1 occelaris clown (The first fish I bought - I had bought a pair, but one died)
1 six line wrasse
1 firefish
1 YWG
skunk cleaner shrimp
rose sea urchin
CUC (hermits, snails)
...as well as some corals (hammer, frogspawn, torch, GSP, mushrooms, zoa, lobo) and a rock flower anemone.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.