The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Been a while since I've been on thereeftank. I have been super busy with all sorts of things and my Biocube has sorta taken the back seat in my life. Right now I have a 14 Gallon Coralife biocube with the biocube protein skimmer in it. Stock lighting and pretty much stock everything else. I do have a eheim jager 50w heater as well as a fluval wavemaker (newer). And for my livestock I have 1 clown, 1 three stripe damsel, and 1 blue damsel. Also have a peppermint shimp, mexican turbo, and some red leg hermits. My tank has some green/brown algae buildup on the glass (I do have a magfloat to clean). The only corals I have at the moment is a small frag of zoas and a pink tube like coral with tentacle type things at the end (on sale for 10$ at my LFS and never asked what it was). I want to focus my tank toward the more coral and inver type. with maybe just 1 clown. Basically I'm asking for guidance to how to better my tank and make it thrive. ANY input is appreciated. Thanks guys!:)

·
Nano Reef Keeper
797 Posts
I would highly suggest a lighting upgrade to leds. This did wonders for biocube. What kind of corals are you going to be putting in there? I run chemipure elite in the middle back chamber and cleared out all the "filtration" it came with. I heard the protein skimmer for the biocube is not that great. A 25% weekly water change is key with nano tanks as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
+1 to Dpolts comments
I love the shimmer of the leds too a much more natural sunlight effect to the reef. I also do weekly water changes on my nano (10%, each system different depending on bio load and and many other factors) I have added a refugium to the rear chamber which seems to have been a popular mod for cubes. My Chaeto micro algae grows great and not a shred of gha or the likes of since. yeah skimmers i have read are only truly biologically and financially beneficial upon larger tanks away from nano/pico . Check out this thread for some good opinions http://www.thereeftank.com/forums/f6/do-i-even-need-a-skimmer-185075.html
Some pics for us to see your tank develop would be good too :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys! I literally just serviced all my equipment. Cleaned everything and might do a water change. The only problem is that I have run out of RO water and Distilled. Can I use the water out of my fridge (pretty new with good filtration)? Also I do have a WavePoint 6" LED light I used when I had my little 3gal pico setup. I have used this light on my Biocube before but it seemed that it promoted the greenish brown algae. What do you guys think about that? Also whats the simplest way to make a small sump? I have my od JBJ Picotope sitting in my closet right now just collecting dust that I could use, but im sorta wary about drilling (preious experiences). And Pics will be up soon:). Thanks again.

·
Registered
128 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts