The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my wife to the LFS to get "food". Well while we were there we just had to look at the corals and such. My wife found a little red starfish with black dots on its back. Does anyone have any idea what kind it is? I will try to post pics tomorrow. Also, while at the LFS I just had to have a 5" Blue Crocea clam. Will post pics tomorrow as well. Anyway good night ya'll.

·
Registered
174 Posts
yeah i think it is a fromellia too.

where did you get it?

i have had a couple and won't buy them again until someone can identify what they eat and tell me how to target feed them.

i will bet yours will starve within a year. they begin to waste away at a tip and over the period of a couple weeks they slowly disappear.
Dr Ron Shimek says these starfish have a lifespan that is quite longer than ours, so i know it isn't old age that they are dying from.

they are really cool though. hope you are more successful than the rest who have attempted them.

·
bug hunter
816 Posts
I used to have a Fromia Elegans too, Yes it starved after about 6 months. I miss the little guy but I probably won't be buying another for a few more years when my tank might have enough of a food supply to keep one thriving.

IME these stars eat sponges and algea films thropughout the rock work and on the glass too.

After the star wasted away I noticed there weren't any "q-tip" type sponges left. After a year and a half, I'm getting these sponges everywhere (you should see my sump) so maybe in time I could try another one, but I don't know.

RickO,

You've had your star for awhile now right? How is yours?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts