The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has antone ever used a product called "chemiclean red slime remover" sucsessfully? im wondering how long it takes to remove the slime out. thanks

·
Retired Wanderer
17,287 Posts
I used it. But, if you have it now you will get it again.

Red slimy algae feeds on phosphates. You can get those from either poor water quality (do RO or RO/DI) or in my case too much feeding and stuff coming out of the sandbed.

If you use a filter ditch the media, and feed those little starving fishies every three days. Tell the smart people here a little more about your tank and substrate and they will help out. If you can list lighting, how often you feed, age of the tank, how you make water and anything else. That is a lot of homework but these guys will help you out.

Light, feeding and water quality are the prime factors for that stuff. A lot of us have been there.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
thebutler4 said:
Yup .. its good stuff .. it took about 2 days to whipe out my ciano .. and it has yet to return ...
i was wondering about this product too

butler when you used chemiclean did you use and airstone too?
i read on the package and airstone is a must....what will happen if i dont use an airstone??

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
my tank is a 29gal. i dont have phosphates, nitrites nitrates, or ammonia. I frequently do a water changes. I have live sand that used to have brown and red on it, i notice today it was mostly gone. I have 33 pounds of LR with crap all over it. I stared the tank with 1 65watt pc with a 50/50 bulb (daylight/actinic) 1 month ago, i added another pc lighting and have switched the bulbs. now i have 1 65 watt daylight(10k/67k) and one actinic bulb(460mn). i had a bloom of diatoms that turned into red slime after a while. Now my LR is brown, slimey red, every color but purple. I have an overflow box and sump with bio balls and all that jazz. I have a clown, regal, goby, star polyp covered rock, tree sponge, and 2 anemones that im thinking about getting rid of because they dont really get along with other corals(or so iver heard). every time i blow off the rocks with a turkey baster b4 a water change, i get and more debree flying all over the place ebery time. i used the chemiclean today with little faith in the product, and it says to wait 2 days so i have to look at things again on tues. I will absolutely anything to get my tank the way i want it: clean sand, no crap on the rocks, just coraline and friends, litlle purple on the glass, you no. i dont plan to do n e thing further with the tank except remove the anemons until the problem is under control. So, my problem is as follows: Red slime, crap covered/dirty rock, ec sess debree, cant spell, father never hugged me, very little coraline in the tank, and i think thats it. Thanks to everyone who post, Ocala, Florida rocks-----------i hate hurricanes

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Here is my way of getting rid of it. Personally I am not for "chemical Band aids" You need to get to the root of the problem which is a abundance of nutrients in the tank. First thing you need to do is increase your water changes at 2-3 times your current rate on your size tank I would do 2-3 five gallon water changes a week. When changing water siphon as much of the cyano bacteria out as possible. Next cut down on your feeding by 1/2. Doing so limits the amount of nutrients your are putting in your tank. Increase the nutrient export by skimming as wet as possible. Cut down on your photoperiod. and last but not least increase your flow in areas where the cyano seem to really take hold. If you do these things you will fix the root of the problem without having to use chemical band-aids.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts