The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggestions on how to get rid of this? I've tried everything. I have a skimmer running around the clock, I have been cutting back food to once a day, and twice every other day, and I haven't added any new fish or livestock to avoid increasing bio load. I'm trying to reduce nutrients in the water column as much as possible. Any other helpful hints? Its taken over a few of my corals and I've lost an entire rock of polyps which I loved. I need some help here. Thanks in advance,
Andy

·
Administrator
18,762 Posts
It depends. How old is the tank? For newer tanks it's often just part of growing pains and will go away with regular water changes and time. The key is nutrient reduction, especially nitrates in the case of cyanobacteria. Do regular water changes and siphon out the excess as you do so. Make sure you don't over feed the tank, which is a great way to keep the nutrients down.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tank is well over 8 months old. I've been doing my best as far as nutrient reduction goes. I may just up my water changes. And like i mentioned earlier I've cut feeding literally in half.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Any suggestions as to what phosphate and/or nitrate removing media I can include in my sump? I have a spot that I currently have a bag of carbon in that could easily be replaced by a new media that would help bring those down

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Chemiclean is a band aid really. It will kill it if you just dont like the look of it, and it will eventually come back, but like tcamos said the key is nutrient reduction. Reducing phosphate and nitrate will solve your issue. Good husbandry, using ro/di water, and keeping feeding under control, are the best ways to eliminate red slime. I fought it for months.

I also run GFO in a reactor at all times. I also went bare bottom, i couldnt keep the nutrients out of the sand bed due to my rock formation. The combination of all of these tips should take care of it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so just kind of wait it out then? I've had the food cut down to once a day for over a week now, my skimmer is one constantly, and I've always used RO/DI (I work for an aquarium maintenance company and get all of my RO for free so I have it readily available)

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
yes just keep that up. Make sure your blowing out your rocks, rinsing the frozen foods your adding, and changing your filter socks/media regularly. It wouldnt hurt to siphon it out when your doing your water changes either.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah I've been siphoning it out as well whenever I can. this stuff is really starting to get me ticked off. I have seen a slowing in growth though which is making me somewhat hopeful I'll beat this stuff soon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts