The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just recently had an outbreak of red slime. We went to the LFS and the guy there told us to use Ultralife Red slime remover. He said he used it with great success on his tank others at the LFS agreed.

I should have known better...(feeling guilty)....I should have checked this forum first. Well.....put it in the tank.....instant bubbles gone wild in the skimmer. Billions of bubbles flowing thru refugium into the tank. The corals closed up...and started sliming. (All chemical parameters look good...no phosphates, very little nitrates... i know i need to limit these to prevent a recurrance.....)

By morning the skimmer took out a ton of waste in the collection chamber. Corals were mostly happy, but still not quite all the way open like usual. We turned the skimmer off and the bubbles stopped. The corals oped back up and look great.

95% of the cyano is already gone, but I am scared to turn the skimmer back on due to the explosion of bubbles into the tank. On the same note I am scared to leave the skimmer off and not take out the waste.

I have done some research and I think that the red slime remover oxidizes the red slime. I don't think there are any antibiotics in it....but I can't be sure. (I have already sent an e-mail to the company).

Any suggestions to limit the bubbles but still turn skimmer on????
Anyone else with this problem? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

125gallon reef tank
250 lb live rock
30 or so corals etc...(LPS, SPS and soft)
4 in sand bed
refugium
uv sterilizer on refugium
also a closed loop system thru chiller (80degrees)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Forgot to list lighting: Coralife 72" Aqualight plus (576 Watts plus lunar moon lights)-keep them on 12 hours per day (all three lights on timers)
Lights on refugium (started 24 hours per day about 1 week before cyano started appearing)
Using RO/DI water only

Water pumps:
Gen-X PCX 40 on closed loop system
Gen-X PCX 30 on return from refugium with wave maker
2 maxi-jet 1200's in tank
Maxi-jet 900 to run skimmer

I don't know if any of this is useful or not...???

·
Registered
168 Posts
i get an explosion of tiny bubbles with my skimmer sometimes....

i'm not an expert but anytime i've gotten a ton of bubbles in the tank with the skimmer is when the tank had alot of uneaten protein (like diced-up mysis shrimp) floating around.

i always thought the explosion of tiny bubbles meant the water really really needed to be cleaned out with excessive proteins.

i wouldnt worry about the tiny bubbles as they always go away after about 3-4hours of skimming

YOUR OUTBREAK OF RED SLIM USUALLY MEANS YOU ARE OVERFEEDING THE TANK.....UNEATEN FOOD CAUSES A BIG JUMP IN PHOSPHATES THAT CAUSE RED SLIME.....TRY USING HALF THE AMOUNT OF FOOD YOU ARE CURRRENTLY USING.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could be just the dying cyano getting expelled but the explosion of bubbles occured within 2 minutes of adding the red slime remover. I did initially leave the skimmer on all night and still billions of bubbles come morning (8-9 hours later).

I am definitely going to cut down on feeding. Could starting to feed phytoplankton more regularly than usual cause it? Also we just recently moved the tank and the sandbed was disturbed....I think this caused a Nitrate spike (which is currently coming down).

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
This is normal when using Red Slime Remover! The skimmer should be turned off for the duration of the treatment (13 days). Your water will turn slightly yellow and your corals will get a little pissed but it will not harm them at all. It also will not harm your tank to run for the 13 days without a skimmer. If you let the skimmer keep running it will just keep pulling out the Red Slime Remover and the slime will come back. Once you have finished the full treatment you need to do about a 40% water change and then you can run your skimmer again.

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
A water change is an excellent idea. I do wonder if keeping your skimmer off for 2 weeks will be counterproductive to getting rid of the algae, though. Doesn't this stuff work within hours?

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
ChrisPrusha said:
A water change is an excellent idea. I do wonder if keeping your skimmer off for 2 weeks will be counterproductive to getting rid of the algae, though. Doesn't this stuff work within hours?
No, To work properly it requires a 13 day treatment. It's on the package. It does no harm to keep the skimmer off for 2 weeks and is not counterproductive. I have done this on 3 different tanks recently and never had an issue. You do the water change after the treatment to remove the product from the tank water. This allows the skimmer to be run again.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
You repeat treatment in 48 hours (If needed). Then wait at least 1 week before additional treatments if needed. (Not everyone will need the full 2 weeks treatments.)

For very minor outbreaks, one treatment over 48 hours with skimmer off should be enough but for larger outbreaks more is needed.

·
Registered
168 Posts
i'm totally against any chemical treatments when you have all sort of expensive corals involved.

when i get red slime I just removed the slime BY-HAND.....by picking it out of my tank with my fingers....TEDIOUS as hell but SAFE

my slime reminds me of "pudding-skin" ...... I just turn OFF all water movement and pick all the slime by hand and pile it in one corner of the tank. when done picking.....remove the pile of slime with your fingers and wipe your fingers onto a papertowel...over and over again.

i then cut my feedings in half for a couple of weeks until the slime quits growing....

its the HARD way but the best way not to kill off expensive corals.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I feel almost the same way cornetet. I was very concerned the first time I used "Red Slime Remover" on a friends reccomendation. Now that I have used it with SPS, LPS, Softies, Inverts and fish without a single loss multiple times I do at least endorse this product. There is another way also but it's an inside secret and I'd have to take away your tank(s) to tell you. ;)

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
I've made mistakes with additives and quick cures... I think most of have. If I encounter a problem, now, I do water changes. Good luck. Keep us posted on the progress. I agree on the overfeeding - done that, and been there.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So far, all red slime appears to be gone. I have turned the skimmer back off since reading everyone's posts. So I had it on the first night, off the next day and turned it back on last night until I read your posts this morning. Do you think the treatment will still work (all appears good now--very little if any red slime at all). Treatment has worked well and quickly, just the skimmer issue and crazy bubbles.

Will the skimmer go wild again after the treatment time is over? If all slime appears gone I am assuming I don't need to retreat the tank. ??. If I don't retreat should I still leave skimmer off for the full 2 weeks? I do still have pumps etc running so refugium should continue to rid the tank of Nitrates.

Some of the corals are sliming (a little), but all are open.

Thanks for everyone's help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just spoke with someone at Ultralife reef products. He said to keep skimmer on but use a sponge or something else in refugium to absorb bubbles prior to them entering the tank. He said to keep skimmer on to remove the dead slime. Leaving slime in the tank can cause pH to drop. He also said skimming will not decrease the efficacy of the product.

Any suggestions??? Now I am totally confused???

·
Registered
7,938 Posts
I would turn it back on. :) It looks like it has done its job...if the cyano comes back do another treatment and then turn it off again.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Skimmer is back on. I positioned Caulerpa in the water flow so the bubbles will be absorbed better by the Caulerpa. It seems to be working. The bubbles are still massively increased, but not as much as before.

I am planning on a water change today or tomorrow. How much should I do? or should I wait?

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
The water change is probably a pretty good idea. You can also run some carbon - that should pull most of the junk left behind from the treatment and calm the skimmer a bit.

-Brad

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
hmmm...

Do we KNOW what the product is???

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The guy from ultralife reef products wouldn't say what is in the red slime remover. He did hint that it is an oxidizer and that is why the refugium went crazy with bubbles immediately after putting it in tank. He said it will not affect the biological filter in any way which leads me to believe it is not an antibiotic.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
interesting.

wonder if it is binding phosphates, and locking it up killing the cyano in the process. that is assuming that it is not an anitbiotic, which most of these quick cures are.

if it is binding up something it needs to be removed. it seems like keeping the skimmer on would be vital.

G~

1 - 20 of 31 Posts