The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I know the directions say to turn your protein skimmer off but if you can adjust the skimmer way down so it doesn't foam over it will serve the same purpose of adding oxygen. As long as it is running with a very low water level you won't skim out the red slime remover either.

I have used it before and did not have an issue with fish, corals or inverts. Keep in mind that it is only a temporary fix and you need to get to the root of the problem or it will come back again.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did add more flow and i did add a DI unit to my RO unit. My p04 is now .2 it was .5. I just put in a new skimmer to. Last one was to small. I'm staying on top my W/C. I may get the GFO and Carbon Reactor from bulk reef. This red slime is kicking my butt. I do not wana add the remover im just lost at what to do.

·
I've got the REEF rash!
61,660 Posts
I agree too!But if you have to do the bottle way then I do what they say,because they wouldn't tell you to do something unless it's necessary.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
you should try it . Taking a baster and shooting a strong stream on it will dislodge it most of the time and your skimmer will take care of it . Give it a try . If you don't have a baster >get one . You should have one anyway . While your keeping up on your w/c and daily maintenance it will go away

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
I'm with you on that im just so sick of looking at the red slime :(
I can't say I blame you . If you can wait till tomorrow . Stop at the supermarket and get a baster and try it . If it works then hey you take the bottle back if not you tried everything !!:D:fish::fish:

·
REEFer In Progress
1,423 Posts
Is the red slime your talking about cyano algea? I was starting to get it (cyano algae) in my tank and I cut back on feedings and blasted what i could with the baster to be collected. I havent seen it since. Im also going to be running a phosban reactor on my 90 gal when I set it up. Just about everyone I know that has them, swears by them. I was actually thinking about hooking it up to my nano and letting it go to work on that tank, heck that way id get some use out of it, instead of just having it sit in a corner doing nothing. Theyre actually pretty cheap to, which is hard to come by in this hobby, I got mine brand new for around $40. Good luck!

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
sorry, i read calcium reactor out of your carbon reactor. my bad. you should try and deep clean it to get all of the detritus that has settled down into the bed.

the more you feed the faster the bed will fill up with phosphates. if you are not deep cleaning it than this allows the bed to fill up even faster.

G~

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not to jack your thread, but will a phosban reactor reduce the phosphate build-up in the sand bed?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
biowheel- sand beds can be tough to clean without causing huge sand storms. using a python siphon works will. make sure it has a valve on it to control the flow. i have found sawing down the wide part so that is just a couple of inches deeper than the sand bed helps. though i would try it full length till you get the hang of it. the object is to shove the wide part deep into the bed. wiggle it just enough to free up the detritus than pull it out slowly. you do not get much done each time, but you are getting the detritus out.

My94TA- no not really. usually by the time a phosphate reactor is used the phosphate levels are already near saturation in the sand bed. the best way to keep the phosphates from building up in the sand bed is to make sure that the detritus is not allowed to sit on top of the sand bed for any length of time. have good flow over the entire sand bed and raising the LR up off of the sand bed to keep the flow consistent is the best thing you can do for a sand bed to keep it as long as possible between replacements.

G~

1 - 20 of 21 Posts