The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Go Cowboys!!!!!!
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone used that red slime remover because I keep getting it on my sand bed and its really anoying nuthing in my tank is eating it. Does this stuff work? Any sideffects?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
it is a short term solution. cyano will just come back if the problem is not fixed at the source. cyano=nutrient export problem.

whenever you do water changes it is important to suck up as much detritus as possible. you need to get back behind the LR if possible to get to it all. the good news is that it is on the sand bed and not on the LR. that means the phosphates have not wicked themselves up into the LR. if you have a crushed coral sand bed then you could siphon up the sand bed itself to get all of the settled out detritus. if it is a fine sand mix then it is more difficult, but still needs to be done.

how much skimmate are you getting out of your skimmer? what kind of skimmer do you have? you should be getting a light tea coloured liquid out of your skimmer. i remove about a gallon of skimmate a day from my 125g tank. i also siphon out 10g of water a week while i am siphoning out all detritus in my sump.

it is difficult to keep your exports as high as your imports, but needs to be done in order to keep algae/cyano at bay. how much do you feed? do you feed any phosphates in a bottle, also known as phytoplankton?

G~

·
Go Cowboys!!!!!!
578 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an aqua c remora and I only get about half of the cup filled in a week. Its a dark tea color but I have it on the wettest setting. I dont put any photoplankton in my tank. Its only growing on the right side of the tank on the sand. How should I get the detritus out? Is there anything I can get to eat it? I have 2 cucs but I guess its not enough. O and my sand bed is anout 3-4" deep, would that effect it? besides that I dont have algae anywhere in the tank besides corraline.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
cucs do not eat all of the detritus, besides cuke poop is detritus. eventually detritus will need to be remove by you and Mr. Siphon. i just use a piece of 3/8" vinyl hose to suck my detritus out.

not sure how to get more skimmate out of the skimmer though, but you really should be getting a lot more skimmate out of it.

G~

·
Registered
592 Posts
cucs do not eat all of the detritus, besides cuke poop is detritus. eventually detritus will need to be remove by you and Mr. Siphon. i just use a piece of 3/8" vinyl hose to suck my detritus out.

not sure how to get more skimmate out of the skimmer though, but you really should be getting a lot more skimmate out of it.

G~
He needs the surface skimmer option. I made one for my aqua c and my output increased a good bit, but nothing amazing.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Oh yeah, I had a red slime (cyano) out break 3 times in the first 3 months of my tank. I listened to these guys on here and haven't had another outbreak since.

I attribute it to running my protein skimmer a little wet, my hermits, using RO water, water changes every 2 weeks (10%), and feeding only as much as my clown can eat in a few minutes.

I never tried chemicals as I was told its only a band aid and I am glad I listened. Try to improve the water quality because I suspect that is your underlying issue.

And while it was growing in my tank, it was isolated like yours. Mine was on 2 rocks and one section of sand. I siphoned off the sand and took out the rocks and scrubed them with a tooth brush where ever it was on the rock.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I agree with G-

The real slime remover is efficient skimming, strict water changes and poo suckings, and limits on feeding/ bio - load/ incoming nutrients.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Yes, I agree. water changes every 2 weeks, a protein skimmer and UV sterilizer usually work to control your red slime problem. Nutrients in the tank as well as phosphates in your water are items that need to be controlled in order to control the Cyano (red slime) growth. However if you need a little extra help to control a bad outbreak...I have found a product called ChemiClean really helps. It works to break the life cycle of the Cyano. It does not discolor the tank and have not harmed any of my fish. It only takes a little dosage or two, and really helps you get it under control faster...but you need to do a 20% water change after a full treatment. It can also be used as a maintenance measure especially if you still have problems with control. Good Luck.

·
Administrator
46,887 Posts
What is Chemiclean and how does it work?

The Red Slime Remover is an antibiotic, its will relieve the cyano for a while but wreaks havoc on the bacteria in the tank exacerbating the problem , and cause the skimmer to go NUTS in the process :(

1 - 12 of 12 Posts