The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am still having a red algea problem. I have been reading up about it and they reccomend using Redox +. Any one know where I can get some of this ?

-Paul

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
do you know what the cause could be yet? if it can kill the cyano then it will kill the bacteria your tank uses for the nitrogen cycle. cyano is a bacteria. this will not help your system any. do you still have like 40 fish in your 20.;)

G~

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Prismaco said:
I am still having a red algea problem. I have been reading up about it and they reccomend using Redox +. Any one know where I can get some of this ?

-Paul
First off the "redox" is basically "Potassium Permanganate" and should be used very carefully. It is a oxidizing agent and has just as much potential for "destruction" as it does for "good". I would recomend staying away from it and trying to find out what is causing the cyano outbreak. Post your parameters, tank inhabitants, age of the system, any additives you use and your feeding regimen (IE: how much and how often). We will need this info to try and help you find the problem and solve it. Thanks.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
40 <>< in a 20g:D ...no I have 3 <>< in a 37g show tank. All readings are good:

Nitrates: 5.0
Nitrites: 0
Amonia: .25
PH: 8.4

I was away on my honey moon so my mom took care of my tank. She clean most of it off the sand and rocks, but in a couple of days almost all of it comes back. I am including some pictures...

-Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And I just cleaned it all on Monday!!! The readings are a tad off but I did a small water change today. 1 out 3 new in...

-Paul

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Parameters look good except for the ammonia, it should be 0 also. Check and make sure youdon't have anything dead in the tank such as snails. They will produce a lot of ammonia for thier size. Also what about the rest of the information?

"age of the system, any additives you use and your feeding regimen (IE: how much and how often). "

Thanks

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oops..

5 months old
(where I went wrong was using tap water and adding drops where I first started my tank, I am now using RO/DI water)

I add calcium about once a month

Feed them about every 2-3 days (Just a little flake and some mush)

I also run my skimmer about once a week

any thing else ??

-Paul

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
I would run your skimmer more often and longer for now as well as just go with the mush, forget the flakes as they trend to be good sources of unneeded nutrients that are good for algae growth. Also only feed what the fish can consume, add the food in small amounts and only add more once they have consumed what you already fed them.

Your tank is still young, not yet matuer as far as the SB goes, and it is probably still going through it's varius cycles, Cyano is one of them. As it builds up, syphon it off, this will also be a good means of exporting those unwanted nutrients. Beyond that time is the best thing you can do, be patient... :) Chemicals will only mask the problem by relieveing the symptoms, not solve the problem.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I will just wait it out. I am frustrated because I started my moms tank of with RO/DI water and her tank is only 2 months old and it looks better then ever and its readings are perfect. I will just keep syphoning it off the sand and see how it goes...

-Paul

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Not to play devils advocate, but give her tank time... It's even younger than yours... :) Now that your using RO/DI it will get better as long as you watch the rest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts