The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 20 gallon sw tank,set up for two months,just got some live rock a week ago,is red slime algae on the glass is this a good thing or bad thing,some people tell me its good and its bad,what causes it never had it ,until i got the live rock.if someone could give me some advice i would really appreciate it. thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,360 Posts
not a good thing you can use a red slime treatment to rid yourself of it and from what ive learned it not an algae but a bacteria and the red slime power is a sort of antibiotic.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
46,884 Posts
not a good thing you can use a red slime treatment to rid yourself of it and from what ive learned it not an algae but a bacteria and the red slime power is a sort of antibiotic.
The Red Slime treatment is an antibiotic and while it will kill of some of the cyanobacteria, it will also affect the beneficial bacteria that form the biological filtration in your tank.
Basically you have cyano because the dieoff on the new Liverock, and or left over food and fish poo decaying and releasing nitogen and phosphate fertilizer for the cyano to feed on.
Cyano is alway present in tanks, it's a vital part of the food chain, but when theres an abundance of nutrients it can feed on then it multiplies like crazy.
Good Luck getting it under control :)
 

·
spaceman spiff
Joined
·
11,769 Posts
if it's a new tank, it's probably just a part of the initial tank cycle. do some water changes and monitor the problem, I wouldnt throw chemicals at it this early in the tank's life.
 

·
Physical/Reef therapist
Joined
·
388 Posts
I agree... big water changes may help you out. There are lots of similar threads about red algae on the site, it may help to read a few.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top