The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help!! Anyone with information about ways of getting rid of the red slime algae that is slowly taking over my tank. I have done several treatments of red slime remover with very little result. I am losing faith.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Don't use chemi clean. Wait and try other methods first. Chemi clean will kill your good bacteria. How long has your tank been set up? Less than a year? I would first off check your phosphate and nitrate levels. That is the culprit. Run a phosban reactor...they work great. (you are using ro/di water right??). Try to siphon off the slime and increase the flow in the area. Reduce your phosphate and nitrate levels and this should help significatny. Use the chemi clean as a LAST resort.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
cyano is a bear to get rid of correctly. there is not a quick fix for this stuff. could you please give us some info on your system. how long has it been setup? what kind of substrate do you have? what kind of skimmer do you have? how much have you been feeding? have you been siphoning out detritus whenever you do water changes?

what you need to start doing is running your skimmer wet, getting a tea coloured liquid in the collection cup. you will need to empty it quite often. i have to do my every other day. i say i prolly skim out close to 1/2g a day on a 170+ gallon system. during water changes you need to siphon out all detritus and all cyano that you can see.

eventually you will win the battle. it may take a month or two depending on how hard it is to clean around the LR, but you can get it under controll and win the war.

G~

1 - 5 of 5 Posts