The Reef Tank banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
294 Posts
Seems like just about any type of salt will work. There are countless people who are using countless types and have had plenty of success.

I hope the switch brings you happy, healthy corals and fish.

· Registered
365 Posts
I have been using the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt for about 3 yrs now and love it. I tried to switch to Reef Crystals about a year ago due to a cheaper price but everything in my tank started going downhill. I dump it and went back to RSCP and everything picked up and started thriving again. Not going to get into a debate on which salt is best, only know what works best for me.

· Premium Member
12,360 Posts
Reef Crystals are mined from dry ground....with the salt comes gypsum. That is what the grey deposit is in you mixing barrel, power head, etc.

Red Sea Salt is made directly from evaporated salt water from the Red Sea.

~95% of salt mixes contain sodium chloride....the calcium, mag, alk, and trace minerals make up only a tiny amount of the whole.

There is another brand name that is made from the Red Sea salt as well....Royal something.....I'll have to look back.I've got a thread about it. But their American rep gave me a good idea on how these salts are made, and how difficult it is to get consistant coverage by the additives like above to make your first cup full the same as your last.

So even though it can be a bargain to buy larger pails/bags, the smaller units will be more consistant overall, because they tend to be used totally in mixes.

· Biggest Fishy
351 Posts
I have been using the Red Sea Coral Pro Salt for about 3 yrs now and love it. I tried to switch to Reef Crystals about a year ago due to a cheaper price but everything in my tank started going downhill. I dump it and went back to RSCP and everything picked up and started thriving again. Not going to get into a debate on which salt is best, only know what works best for me.
^^^ What he said... I love the results with Red Sea Coral Pro.. I tried switching to RC but same.. things went down hill so I switched back and I am happy I did

· Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have never had noticeable issues with RC or IO, however, I like the rumors of the stability of Red Sea. I want nothing but the best for my fish in there super tiny environment compared to the ocean. It's not too much more expensive then RC either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.