The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
red sea prizm shutup

ok got a red sea have a 26 gallon anybody got one know how to cut down on the noise

jim

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
there should be a turn valve on it, you can slowly turn it to cut back on the amount of air being sucked in. I have the same skimmer, and it is as quiet as a mouse. It was noisy at first when it had air trapped in it, but in no time it quieted down.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the turn valve that is on the siphon tube or is there one the comes with the airhose

jim

·
Registered
135 Posts
It will never be silent. No matter what you do it is going to create
some noise. I have two one is a little louder than the other but niether is what I would call loud.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
The turn valve on the siphon. Mine is quiet, at least what I would call quiet. There is a small faint buzzing from the little bubbles, but when I stand in front of my tank, I don't hear it at all. I have to stand right by it to hear it. Maybe I lucked out. :)

·
bug hunter
816 Posts
Fill the first chamber(the one where the intake tube connects) with water, it really makes a difference. I have to refill mine evry couple of weeks after it evaporates.

And definately get the 18 blade. It makes a huge difference.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I've used one for a while now. Even all the preceding suggestions (except the one about filling the 1st chamber with water) the things still drives me nuts. A couple of weeks ago did do something similar though. I stuffed a bunch of foam around the intake and sealed up the area where it makes a right angle coming our of the top of 1st chamber. Then I wrapped a towell around all 3 chambers on the back side of the tank; making sure that there was still air flow to the impeller from the bottom.

It helped a lot. The water in chamber 1 is a really good idea though. I might try that myself.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
all my noise comes from the air intake any suggestions on how to get that to "shut up"

jim

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
the air intake, ..hmmm... my noise came from the siphon area. All I did was turn the valve down to decrease the amount of flow. This eventually got all the trapped air out of the tube. Is this where your problem lies? Do you see excess air trapped in the siphon tube? Or is it coming from the back bottom of the unit?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Do you have the air intake hose connected to the collection resevoir?

If not you can get a piece of extension tubing - 8" or so - and attache a type of noise dampening plug into the end of it. I can't remember if this came with the skimmer or not. Let me know if you aren't using this already.

On mine if I turn the valve down to the point where the thing is quite it is no longer skimming properly. There's not enough bubbles to create foam.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts