The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where can i find a red dragon pump for sale on a US site? trying to plan for the 7 footer, need to put together a price list and i think imight use a red dragon and a bubble king. i know they are expensive!!! i'm only thinking right now :D

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
<TABLE id=table2 style="WIDTH: 982px; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse" borderColor=#111111 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=1><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 12.75pt" height=17><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" bgColor=#000080 height=17>Red Dragon Pump</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; HEIGHT: 12.75pt; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=93 bgColor=#000080 height=17>14 m3</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=89 bgColor=#000080>9" x 5"</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=52 bgColor=#000080>9"</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=109 bgColor=#000080>13.75'</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=85 bgColor=#000080>135 Watt</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; TEXT-DECORATION: none" width=181 bgColor=#000080>3698 g/h</TD><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 1px; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 1px; FONT-WEIGHT: 400; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: bottom; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; COLOR: windowtext; PADDING-TOP: 1px; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; WHITE-SPACE: nowrap; TEXT-DECORATION: none" align=left width=90 bgColor=#000080 x:num="1219"> $1,219.00 </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
nevermind i found one........ think i'll stick with the hammerheads

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Go Gen X. Awesome Head Preasure and vceryu reasonable......as far as the Bubble King is concerned....WHY? They are so expensive and it is not worth it IMO, however that is just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
smeese, to join the cool club you have to have a bubble king, i don't know why. i just play by the rules.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I think there are a few local guys that make a skimmer that is alot more functional than a BK. They are a waist of money and from what I have seen on RC they are not worth the money. Aquatic acrylics (scott aka Spazz) & Reef Mania ( bob ) both make a skimmer that is functionally 100x better than a BK.

BK skimmers are impossible to clean and are way over priced. The BK Red Dragon pump is not as energy efficient as what Scott has been doing. I would forget you ever knew that they ever were made.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
carman34l said:
Aquatic acrylics (scott aka Spazz) & Reef Mania ( bob ) both make a skimmer that is functionally 100x better than a BK.
i realize you're trying to make a point, and i'm sure 100x is just an estimate if not hyperbole :) but...

i own equipment from scott and bob and love those guys, and they build high quality stuff-the best! and then i've owned a couple deltecs which frequently get bashed for the same faults as the BK-primarily price. you cannot knock the function of deltec or BK equipment! maybe the practicality or the return for your dollar but...the reason scott and bob's stuff is great is because of the options/customization, service and price, not because they have unearthed revolutionary aquaria technology-yet;). its not like we're comparing a skilter with a euro-reef.

the big guys prolly don't need defending...just don't hate...

tg

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
no I meant what i said. The BK skimmer is completly sealed. You cannot thoroghly clean the inside of the skimmer without rigging up some sort of High Pressure water devise and snake it into the skimmer. There are a few threads on RC where people have said that after 6 months to a years time things get so mucked up inside the bubble diffuser that the diffuser is useless. There is no way to clean it thouroghly. That is why Scott's & Bob's equipment is functionally 100x better. And if energy consumption is your concern the pumps and NW that Scott is using I think I remember him saying it was alot less.

I think people attatch themselves to things like the BK skimmer is just so they can say I have a $4000 skimmer. Well.... you know what... that is a tremendous waste of money for a skimmer you cant really clean.

Now dont get me wrong, the skimmer will outskim 95% of the skimmers out there, but IMO it is not the best, not by far. If you look at some of the DIY skimmers I have seen on RC, they would out skim a BK any day of the week.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
carman34l said:
no I meant what i said. The BK skimmer is completly sealed. You cannot thoroghly clean the inside of the skimmer without rigging up some sort of High Pressure water devise and snake it into the skimmer. There are a few threads on RC where people have said that after 6 months to a years time things get so mucked up inside the bubble diffuser that the diffuser is useless. There is no way to clean it thouroghly. That is why Scott's & Bob's equipment is functionally 100x better. And if energy consumption is your concern the pumps and NW that Scott is using I think I remember him saying it was alot less.

I think people attatch themselves to things like the BK skimmer is just so they can say I have a $4000 skimmer. Well.... you know what... that is a tremendous waste of money for a skimmer you cant really clean.

Now dont get me wrong, the skimmer will outskim 95% of the skimmers out there, but IMO it is not the best, not by far. If you look at some of the DIY skimmers I have seen on RC, they would out skim a BK any day of the week.

Bottom line is that if someone wants to purchase something that is their own decision and shouldn't be knocked for it.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
its ok i get knocked alot. but just so i don't look incredibly dumb.

1) i'v read WAY more positive things on RC then negative.
2) i don't see how you say its sealed? the collection cup comes off. am i wrong on that? if i am then there seems to be a prob with emptying th bucket.......
3) the one i want is 2k not 4k =P
4) after 6 months to a year???? i clean my skimmer compleatly every month! i think for 2-4k you would take care of it better.
5) i am gonna get a skimmer from bob but its only 600 bucks cheaper, and being as i now need two of them i wanted to compair!

*exit soapbox*

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
I would look into Scotts time frame too if I were you. Spend the extra on fish ;) No hating on the BK or Deltec here though. Just thinking $ But if you do want to go that route it is your money and your equipment.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
smeese said:
There is a thin line between hobby and addiction my friends, and I ride a unicycle down the middle.
my unicycle fell, i bet you know on which side :nuts:

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Geez! Well I guess I can not wait to see it then. :)

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
lol, i havn't decided 100% yet, and being that its 2K for the skimmer it'll be awhile.
i know it'll cost me one of my children college funds (sorry ally) but here is what i was thinking of doing with the new SPS tank, if anyone wants to offer up some c-o-n-s-t-r-u-c-t-i-v-e critisism i want some.

Tank 84''long x 24'' wide x 24'' deep.
sump custom by bob: 60''x20''x20'' + 103gal
return pump: MD100RLT Japanese Motored Iwaki Water Pump
lights: PFO LED strips
Skimmer: bubble king!
Deltec CA reactor
CL - hammerhead x2 W/4 holes drilled on each side and 4 in the back for a total of 12 returns all with 3/4 inch loc-line and pencuctors
kalc reactor : undecided
red sea ozone.
2 400W titanium heaters.
1/5 hp chiller (that strong enough?)
reef keeper II controler
4 tunzes on a crontroler to creat some chaotic flow
i do expect it to be a year or 5 befor i get all thsi but thats my crack dream so far!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts