The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I just had a run in w/ some high nitrates (about 15-20mg/l) due to a dead spot under my wet/dry filter. I'm in the process of slowly removing the bioballs and doing 20% wc daily. The corals (frogspawn, cloves, gsp, zoas & mushrooms of every color) are looking good now. One thing, I got a couple spots that started w/ red cyano- of course one spot is on the rock containing my Yellow Polyps (not sun polyps). These guys took the upset the worse and I lost several. The survivors looked OK a couple days ago, then the red cyano began growing on their stalks. I moved the rock to about 6" in front of and 2" below a powerhead in hopes of removing the cyano that way. Anybody have any suggestions or comments how I can improve removing the cyano w/out overstressing the yellow polyps?

·
Registered
175 Posts
We just had a similar problem on yellow polyps. I GENTLY scraped the cyano off the stalks, then used a baster for the next few days to 'blow' the remaining cyan off of them. We also used Erythromycin in the tank to stop the bloom in conjunction with many partial water changes.

Please check with someone who knows more than I re: using erythromycin - we were guided by an expert.:agree: It was safe in our tank, with our fish, corals and others - it may not be so in your tank. Good luck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts