The Reef Tank banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heres some information I wrote up today on red mites...
RED MITES Dreaded Acro Parasites?
I would like everyones input so I can put as much info as possible on my website about these pests.
If you want to share info or pictures please send me an email at redbugs(at)littlereef.com

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I believe they can be harmful if your tank is not quite up to par. Stressed corals or bad water conditions are usually associated with increased red bug activity. The bugs are opportunistic IMO. I have herd of many people not having any problems with them until something goes wrong with the tank or corals and then the bugs multiply and infest. I my self have seen no change with colony's in my main tank but I can not keep frags of purple tips alive in my frag tank. The bugs attack the frag and the frags bleach and have stunted growth. I believe this is from the stress of being fraged, the little bugs move right in and start feeding on the coral frags. I have not been able to sell or trade certain acro frags since being infected. This will be a god sent....

·
Super Moderator
28,211 Posts
There ya go, Dave. Good way to get Rick up there. BTW, Rick...I'm seriously thinking about going to MACNA. Savin' my pennies now..

·
Super Moderator
879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
This is what my purple tip Larry Jackson acros look like if I frag them. They grow slow and loose color after fraging. As you can see they are infested with red bugs. The parent colonys are not infested. Only when you frag them the frags get bugs. Thats why I think its a stress thing...

Cant wait till there gone!

Click on picture to enlarge...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.