The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for continually asking about this and the not-so-great pictures (below), but last night I noticed red bugs around the base of my green acro. It looks like they are causing STN. For the past week or so it has been browning, and I initially thought it wasn't liking the light it was in, so I adjusted that, but then I noticed tissue loss along the base. It looks like the tissue is receding from the base, turning a pale grey color. So, what can I do to get rid of these red bugs? They might have been AEFW, but I'm pretty sure they were red bugs.

Tank specs are in the My Tanks link in my sig.
Params
SG: 1.024
Temp: 79
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
Ammonia: 0
Phos: 0
Mag: ~1400
Cal: 415
Alk: 8.0 dKH
pH: 8.3

Does anyone have experience with getting rid of them? CoralRX dip? Should I just frag the good parts and hope for the best? Never fragged SPS before, any pointers?

Thanks in advance

See the tissue loss around the base

Just losing color in general

·
Registered
175 Posts
Im not good with sps id's .Is that a milli or an acro? From what I was told redbugs only affect acro's .

Ive had to deal with once.I couldn't see the bugs at all with my eyes,so a friend advised using either a magnifying glass or my camera to take a pic and zoom it in.The latter showed redbugs.

Anyway , I used an intereceptor treatment to get rid of them. Some have not been successful from the posts Ive read and had to repeat the process up to 3 times to get them all. So I just went with the worst case scenario in the 3 consecutive doses back to back.

Fwiw it does seem to kill some invertebrates ,Id take out any hermit crabs ,pistol shrimp .Snails seem to be ok.

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. It is definitely an acro, the pictures don't help you any with that... Since Interceptor has been discontinued, I am ordering some ReVive and CoralRX in hopes that I can get rid of them with one of these.

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
(sorry for 3rd reply in the row)

Are you sure the bugs are causing the tissue loss ? Because your acro does not look happy to me on the pictures. Usually acro has bright tips where it grows, and I do not see that. Maybe your acro is just stressed and loses the tissue and the bugs are cleaning up ?

·
Veteran Newbie
3,799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No problem, igvm. That is possible. It is under good light and in a very high flow area of the tank. However, there is a monti just a few inches away that is doing excellently, showing great PE, color, and has even grown a fair amount. That's why I'm inclined to think that it's the bugs that are causing it. I have read about bugs causing the whole acro to look poor. I've started dosing a little bit to try to help maintain alk some and I have CoralRx and ReVive coming from BRS this week.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts