The Reef Tank banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I moved my 55gal tank about 8 months ago and have had slime all over since then. I've done regular water changes and checked my chemestry. Can someone refresh my memory as to how to fix this issue? Thanks

· Premium Member
9,460 Posts
More than likely not a true algae but cyanobacteria, a photosynthetic bacteria. It grows in the presence of PO4, low flow, or old lights. If your lights are past their prime replacing them may help. Increased flow can make it harder for the cyano to form. You may not get readable PO4 on a test kit because all of the PO4 is bound up in cyano. A 3 day blackout can free up the nutrients for a large water change to remove them. After it has been knocked back regular nutreint management such as wetter skimming, large waterchanges or cut back feedings may be in order. Good luck

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think the tank was 3 years old when we moved it an hour away from the old house. We did keep the sand in the tank and reused it... I'm frustrated because the tank was always so crystal clear and doing great until we moved.

· Administrator
61,340 Posts
Sounds like the sand bed was disrupted during the move and now the waste that was absorbed in the sand bed is leaching out and fueling your cyano problem. You may have to take the sand out to deal with the problem :(

· Premium Member
34,741 Posts
sounds like it is time to replace the sand. aragonite sand/LR is composed of calcium carbonate. calcium carbonate is a fantastic phosphate sponge. it grabs it then holds on to it. at some point it fills completely up and is not longer able to absorb any more phosphates. this leads to it leaching back into the system, where you start to see cyano/hair algae problems. the only way to get rid of the phosphates in the sand is to replace the sand with new dry sand. the LR will quickly repopulate the new sand with critters making it "live".

the LR on the other hand can self clean itself using bacterial turgor and gravity. if at all possible try to make sure that the LR is above the sand and touching the sand in as few places as possible. any contact with the sand will allow the phosphates to wick up into the LR and cause HA/cyano to start appearing on the LR itself.

to help make the sand last as long as possible. you should deep clean the sand with a siphon. pulling out as much detritus as possible. this should be done during every water change. you need to make sure your aquascaping is solid enough that it can handle the deep cleaning of the sand bed without causing a rock slide. make sure to get good flow behind the LR structure also, so that the detritus does not build up behind their also. more detritus is allowed to build up the faster you will need replace your sand bed again.

G~

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks so much everyone! I used to use a siphon on the sand at our old house and will start using it again. What would you suggest I use to keep the LR up out of the sand? Also I have base rocks that support the LR. These should be above the sand as well?

· Premium Member
34,741 Posts
any rock made out of calcium carbonate should be kept above the sand. base rock is just dried out LR, so it is also calcium carbonate based. PVC is probably the most common way of raising the rock above the sand. it just has to be barely above the sand, you just do not want the rocks buried into the sand.

G~

· Registered
116 Posts
I used Chemiclean Red Slime remover

Chemiclean does the following:

• Destroys disease causing Red Slime Algae (Cyanobacteria) from your fish tank.
  • Works quickly without harming fish, invertebrates, corals or important nitrifying bacteria.
  • Oxidizes organic sludge and sediment.
  • Helps to clarify both Saltwater Aquariums and Freshwater Aquariums by removing fish tank red slime algae.
  • Promotes Ideal Enzyme Balance
  • Safe for Reef Tanks, All Invertebrates, Desirable Macro Algaes, important nitrifiying bacteria and all fish.
  • Both Fresh water and Salt water secure.
Directions: Use included level scoop, one per each 10 gallons. After 48 hours, repeat if needed. Must change water (20%) after every treatment. Contents treat 300 gallons.

Important Note: So you do not alter or filter ChemiClean out of your tank, first turn off UV sterilizer and/or Ozonizer and also your Protein Skimmer. Remove ChemiPure or any other Carbon Filtration for 24 hours following each treatment. During treatment maintain tank oxygen levels with airstone or other aerator.

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OH! I forgot. What should I do with my tube anemone while I have a bare bottom? Will it be okay without sand? I think I can find a home for my sand sifting star but not for the anemone.....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.