The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do I get rid of the red algae that has suddenly EXPLODED.
I think I read somewhere in here about an additive that will remove it,
is there one? :confused:

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
There are red slime removers but the best way to get rid of it is to figure out what caused it and resolve that problem. Common causes are low flow and over feeding

·
Underwater Coral Farmer
4,434 Posts
red slime in an established tank? Probably Cyano-bacteria
i would try testing phoshates and nitrates, cut back on photoperiod, ie light time, and feeding. Increace water movement and water changes using RODI.
If all of this is allready being done, or fails to work you can try erithromiasin sp? other wise called EM. Yes I know it is a anitbiotic but for some reason it works.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. It can't be overfeeding as I am really not feeding the tank. Will try cutting down the light and do more water changes. But I am using distilled water at it is a nano and I can't justify spending the money on RO/DI. Will also test more often. We will see. Thanks for the advice.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
are you siphoning out detritus when you do water changes? are you able to siphon anywhere on the substrate? sand acts like a sponge for phosphates, if you are unable to siphon up the detritus the sand will absorb it and this will fuel cyano. detrital removal is extremely important in those tanks that do not have a skimmer.

G~

·
Registered
454 Posts
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">I am also battling with the same problem in my tank and I do siphon every week.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Shinigami-sama
743 Posts
Marycin for fresh water works great. You can get it almost anywhere fish are sold. I buy mine at PetSmart. Turn off your skimmer the first day, because it will go crazy! Then do a water change the second day.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Thanks. Will look for it locally first then try marinedepot.
Kath, I sell corals regularly online and this chemi-clean really does work. It will not affect any single coral you have in your tank except for your skimmer. There's a description on how to use it including how and when to turn your skimmer off. :)

In a couple of days....cyano red stuff, GONE!!!

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Is marine depot your site? I have a nano, so.....no skimmer.
Oh no..no. but i wish. lolz marinedepot has been a good source of supplies for me eversince. :)

Nanos are great tanks. Just minimize your feeding next time or try to re-adjust your powerheads if you have them. Also, regular water change would be a big help avoiding red cyanos. :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I actually do water changes every 7 to 10 days. And I really don't feed the tank, but I will try re-adjusting the powerheads.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I actually do water changes every 7 to 10 days. And I really don't feed the tank, but I will try re-adjusting the powerheads.
Try once in two weeks instead. :) Only small water amount. Small tanks are prone to tank crasher very easily.

Goodluck!

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Siphoning is really easy. Sorry if this is painfully overexplained- I didn't get lot of things when I first started, so here goes.

Go to Home Depot and buy 4-5' of a medium to small diameter vinyl tubing. (They do sell it by the foot.) Start the siphon by holding one end up to a powerhead, and once the siphon/suction is started, skip your little finger over the end. Then just aim and *poof* detritis and cyano are gone into your waste bucket that you've put the other end of the tube into.

This is how I start pretty much all water changes - you can control exactly what you're removing and how much comes out.

I'm not much for quick chemical fixes, and cyano blooms are a part of reefing. And annoying part, but nothing to get worked up about.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts