The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
how long has your tank been running?? Run rowaphos in a fluidized reactor and it should go away. If you the tank is new that is somewhat normal... either way rowaphos should do the trick.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
More flow does it for me as well. Of course green algae moves in because you had the nutrients there in the first place... but they are certainly less invasive than the red stuff.

·
Registered
67 Posts
SLPReefer said:
My tank is about 2 moths old. It is a 12g aquapod. So the red algae is phosphate related?
Your tank is relatively young. Red algae is lame, but will likely recede with time if you continue to follow the suggestions above.

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
phosphate as well as sillicate... it is actaully not really an algae it is bacteria called Cyano Bacteria.

·
Anti-Acan Activist
2,579 Posts
and yes your tank is really very young so give it time and start rowaphos or phosban as soon as you are able and it should help elminate what you have now and continued use will help eliminate future outbreaks.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have two green chromis and I feed them brine shrim or flakes ~every other day. I target feed my corals brine shrimp once or twice per week, and I do a small dose of zooplex or phytoplex once per week (alternating weeks). So red algae is a cyanobacteria like the freshwater blue/gren algae? Also, how long does it take to cycle out of a maturing tank. Is it like another month or two, or like 6mo to a year?

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
You can probably cut down on the feeding, if you see that they aren't eating all of the frozen brine then try cutting the cube in half. Also phtoplex may be adding additional po4 into your system, which isn't helping the problem. IME I have found that phyto products have led to more algae growth, and had no visual effect on other organisms. The red algae should go away with time, but it might take different amounts of time for different people. It should go away in less than a month unless something continues to leach into your system.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Flakes can be phosphate promoters as well. You may be better off adding supplement vitamins and selcon to your frozen and skipping the flake.

I would also stop dosing the phytoplex until problem goes away.

If you have a sandbed. Siphoning regularly during water changes to keep nutrients from collecting there is also a plus.

·
big fishy
941 Posts
I agree with Jake and David on the phytoplex. I cant prove it but I strongly believe that it was the cause of a nasty algae outbreak I had last summer.

·
Got Crabs?
5,526 Posts
Cut down on feeding which raise the nutrients, also cut back on photo period, siphon as much away as possible, increase flow in the areas it is accumulating, cut the phyto back or IMO get rid of it completely, I would switch to a frozen food that you can rinse before you feed as David said the flakes are loaded with phosphates. Also do more water changes. Are you sure this is Cyano? If this is the case the above will get rid of it.

However if you have a diatom bloom which is the browner stuff that looks like cyano, it is caused by high silicates in the water. More than likely is from the tank being so young but could also be coming from your RODI. Simple way is to test the RODI for Si and if you get a reading you know what the problem is. If you get no reading of Si than you know it is just from the tank being new nd will go away on its own.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts