The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Last night there was an explosion of this red/purple algae. It is long and stringy and is growing on the sand and rocks. Can some one tell me what it is and how do I get rid of it. I use only RO/DI water with 0 TDS. Thank-you very much.

Joe

75 Gallon Tank
30 Gallon Sump
Super Needle Wheeled 125 Skimmer
48 " Coralife Deluxe Lunar Aqualight (10 hr Daylight cycle)
(2 x 65 watt 10,000K Daylight,2 x 65 watt True Actinic 03 Blue compact)
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=609 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=14>

</TD><TD vAlign=top width=345><!-- item pricing --><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=345 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bluetitle colSpan=3></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Temp 75.4
SG 1.025
pH 8.4
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate <10
Calcium 400
Alkalinity 11 dKH
Phosphate 0

Attachments

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Thats cyano ... pretty std affair in new tanks .. suspect because new tanks don't have the micro organisms that would otherwise consume/sequester the phosphates that tend to trigger the cyano bacteria.

If the tank is "new" then then you might consider the cyano as an inexpensive phosphate sponge .. let it grow and syphon it out ever once in a while .. passing problem. However ... phosphates are a mineral that accumulates in tanks and overtime can contribute to some real nusiance algae issues ... good to try and manage phosphates from day one.

S/B a zillion posts on cyano on any SW forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Cyano.
We have been battling it for about a month now.
We were told it was from tap water... however RO water will get it too.
We added a new flowpump, decreased feedings, and things have started to get better.
You can use a turkey baster and pressure the areas affected to clean it off.
We used to get it pretty solid on the rocks so you can take a tooth brush, scrub the rocks in a bucket of saltwater, rinse in new saltwater and re-ad to the tank. That was done twice and it helped. We vacuumed up the substrate as some of the cyano when we used the turkey baster got into the CC bottom it starts to grow there too.
It is a pain in the butt to get rid of, but it is just one of those parts of getting a new tank up and running.
Take the time to clean things and it will work its way through.
Just keep the circulation going that is key!!!
Good Luck.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi everyone and thankyou for all of your help.

I am not near a window
most likely overfeeding
bulbs are less than 2 months old
Phosphates are 0

I have increased the flow and did a 10-12% water change, siphoned some out and will do more tomorrow. I will also decrease feedings. Thank-you again I am brand new to all of this and need all of the help I can get. Thank-you

Joe

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A little update. One of my sea cucumbers came through and mowed all of this stuff down in about an hour and I found some of the hermits and snails working on it as well.

Joe

·
Administrator
46,739 Posts
Hi everyone and thankyou for all of your help.

I am not near a window
most likely overfeeding
bulbs are less than 2 months old
Phosphates are 0

I have increased the flow and did a 10-12% water change, siphoned some out and will do more tomorrow. I will also decrease feedings. Thank-you again I am brand new to all of this and need all of the help I can get. Thank-you

Joe
You are reading 0 phos cause it's locked up in the cyano , dilegent removal and cutting back feeding will conquer it over time, do you have a skimmer?

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
I have increased the flow and did a 10-12% water change,

Joe
I would do your water changes every 2 weeks and change about 25-30% each time... you'll get better results that way...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Glad to hear things are starting to improve for you. What kind os Sea Cucumber was it? As many others on here would probably like to know. If you can post a picture they really like those as well. ;)
I believe it is a Tiger Tail, I have 4 of them from Tampa Bay Saltwater. By the way Tampa Bay Saltwater and their "package" is INCREDIBLE. I hope this helps. Thank-you,

Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You are reading 0 phos cause it's locked up in the cyano , dilegent removal and cutting back feeding will conquer it over time, do you have a skimmer?
I Do have a skimmer, Coralife Super Needle Wheeled 125. Sorry for a newbie question but where are my phosphates coming from? Thank-you

Joe

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
phosphates come from a number of sources... food, water..etc. the best advice is take out as much of what you put in as quickly as you can. this will help lower the phosphate levels and will help to keep nuisance issues from your tank. if your skimmer isn't large enough for your tank/bioload, you have a couple options... reduce feedings (ideal) or run a phosphate remover reactor (like Two Little Fish's Phosban reactor) or you make a fuge to and grow Macro algae to try to lock up the phosphate. also, make sure that you are ONLY using RODI or Distilled water for your WC's and TO water.

Oh yeah.. phosphates should be "0" but the only real test (since test kits for phosphate are virtually useless) is if you have nuisance algae or Cyano... if you have either, you have an abundance of phosphate in you tank

·
Premium Member
2,769 Posts
Using RO/DI??? Tap water is generally loaded with Phos. Otherwise pretty much all food sources have phos in them.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Using RO/DI??? Tap water is generally loaded with Phos. Otherwise pretty much all food sources have phos in them.
Hi Jnicho,

Yes I am only using RO/DI water for top off and water changes. Thank-you I didn't realize phos. came from food sources, I thought it was only found in tap water. So basically I'm probably over feeding and that causes the phos to go up and then the algae bloom and I still get the 0 Phos because the phos is in the new algae? Thank-you

Joe

1 - 20 of 31 Posts