The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got some shrooms about a month ago that was attached to a rock with what i thought was some kind of corraline

didnt seem to matter what was on the rock as i screwdrivered the shrooms off, rinsed in water then puttied to my scaping, WRONG!!

A tiny bit of whatever was left on the shrooms has started to clogg my inlets

And now i'm worried if i try to remove this stuff it's going to spread everywhere

What would you do? shutting down all pumps and syphoning above while i scrape seems the only option but if it spreads how i think it does maybe best left alone??

What is this stuff???

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
i don't know what it is but, i do know that it spreads. i seen a tank FULL of it in a LFS.

·
Premium Member
14,532 Posts
I have ton's of it in my 5.5 I think it's a Halymenia sp Based on a picture in my Reef Secrets book my Nilsen and Fossa

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks the same dobejazz, maybe bigger 'leaves' ? I guesswhat i've got is a PITA as its growing so well lol

I actually like the look of the stuff, if i could contain it on a piece of Lr i'd be happy, but it must have been a tiny piece off that rock that got stuck in the inlet

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking at the pic of my shrooms in the bag i do think i must have been mad buying it :arg: but they caught my eye, heres how they look today :)

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Is it calcerous, like coralline, or is it 'leafy'?

I've seen coralline that grows in layers/wedges, but I've also seen "leafy" type macro algae.

Neither is "bad" I suppose but I can see where if it's growing unchecked it may be a problem.

An urchin might eat it - but it will eat the good coralline too - you may need to choose between the lesser of 2 evils.

Jenn

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
JennM said:
Is it calcerous, like coralline, or is it 'leafy'?

I've seen coralline that grows in layers/wedges, but I've also seen "leafy" type macro algae.

Neither is "bad" I suppose but I can see where if it's growing unchecked it may be a problem.

An urchin might eat it - but it will eat the good coralline too - you may need to choose between the lesser of 2 evils.

Jenn
My tanks only a 55usg and i've seen some huge urchins, not sure if my scaping accomadates .
Maybe it's not a bad algae but it's growing in a bad places and i'll have to free up the inlets soon!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts