Discussion Starter #1
:mad:
First of all, here are my tank parameters:
55 gallon FOWLR 60 lbs live rock with 5" DSB
1.025 salinity
Ammonia 0.0
Nitrite 0.0
Nitrate 10 ppm
Temperature 80 degrees (I keep it at a steady 80 degrees with good air conditioning during the day and heating at night).
lighting-2 65 watt PC 50/50's
Skimmer-red sea prism
Aquastep UV sterilizer

I have 3 fish in the tank-Bicolor foxface, three stripe damsel, and a cleaner goby.

The foxface seems to be the only fish that gets infected and it happens every night. In the morning, when the lights come on the poor guy's fins are covered with white spots. The cleaner goes to work and usually has him cleaned up by mid afternoon. But, this happens every night.
I am trying to avoid using any sort of medication in this tank if at all possible. Has anyone had results with lowering their salinity to eliminate the parasites? If so, how long does it take and does it destroy all the eggs that are germinating as well?
Also, does anyone else have any idea what could be causing this poor fish to be the only one that is getting the characteristic white spots? It seems odd to me that the other 2 fish are fine.
Thanks everyone. I'm scratching my head on this one.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I too am dealing with ich--STRESSFUL!! We have lowered our salinity to .009 and FINALLY the spots have disappeared. The 3 chromis are the only fish that didn't get ich..ich started on my tangs, than in about 1 week it made it to my sebae clowns & flame angel. We had a tank full of corals and I was told that if you lower the salinity to .014 the corals will be "irritated" but not die. (the fish looked awful still) Well, after about 1 week ALL the corals died as did our awesome anemone. So once all the corals died we than lowered the salinity to .009 and the fish look fantastic. So I am going to leave the salinity as is for 3 more weeks, so the ich is good and dead!!

My thought is,,,,the other fish may get it if its not fighting the infection in a timely manner!

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know. I had thought that it was due to stress, but I can't think of any reason why the fish would be stressed. All parameters seem to be fine. I guess I am going to try the hyposalinity method, as well. I may also start a quarantine tank and put the foxface in there and medicate him.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
It may be ich. But I'm an optimist. Maybe he bed's down in the sand. When my lights come on my scooter and damsel have sand on them. After an hour or so they clean one another off. They are strange den mates!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
haha thanks for the optimism. :wavey: i'm thinking about lowering the SG for a few weeks to see what happens. Will this affect my live rock? I don't have any inverts in the tank.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Any little worms or such might not make it but nothing that won't pick right back up after you boost the salinity back up.

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Sounds like "morning ich"... as long as it's gone each day at lunchtime I wouldn't worry about it.

Jenn

·
Registered
911 Posts
does your damsels stress out the fox face at night? I usually supplement my frozen cubes with garlic. I soak the cubes in hot water and put a squirt of garlic extreme in it. Don't know why but the ich clears up every time

·
5,916 Posts
AdamG said:
does your damsels stress out the fox face at night? I usually supplement my frozen cubes with garlic. I soak the cubes in hot water and put a squirt of garlic extreme in it. Don't know why but the ich clears up every time
Hot water? Are you using tap water for this? If so, I'd advise against using tap water.

We thaw in tank water - scoop a bit out of the tank, set the food to thaw, add vitamins, let it sit for a few, then feed.

You can also use RO water to thaw too.

Jenn

·
Registered
911 Posts
I tested my tap water all is fine. I have been doing it for 5 years now. Fish have had no problem. All food is gone with in 1 min. Fish are fat and happy too. no sweat. Thanks for the concern though.

·
Registered
911 Posts
I am the first to say I do not do everything perfectly. Ideally I should water change more often and top off water with ro water, but I never do. I am bad, bad bad bad I tell ya ;).

·
Registered
363 Posts
MechEng said:
The foxface seems to be the only fish that gets infected and it happens every night. In the morning, when the lights come on the poor guy's fins are covered with white spots. The cleaner goes to work and usually has him cleaned up by mid afternoon. But, this happens every night.
I am trying to avoid using any sort of medication in this tank if at all possible. Has anyone had results with lowering their salinity to eliminate the parasites? If so, how long does it take and does it destroy all the eggs that are germinating as well?
Also, does anyone else have any idea what could be causing this poor fish to be the only one that is getting the characteristic white spots? It seems odd to me that the other 2 fish are fine.
Thanks everyone. I'm scratching my head on this one.
I have a question, if you look at the white spots, can you see a couple dark spots on one side (like eyes). For a couple weeks my puffer would have these white isopods(look like small pill bugs) stuck to him in the mornings, he would eventually shake them loose.... but every morning he would have a couple... I think he finally managed to eat them...

·
Registered
363 Posts
With lowering the salinity you would first need to take out the inverts because the salinity to kill off the ich is lower than what would kill off the inverts...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
the tank doesn't contain any inverts. just live rock and fish. checked the white spots on the foxface this morning. i didn't see any black dots on them. they just look like ich, to my uneducated eyes. it's so strange that he is the only one that it happens to

·
5,916 Posts
Like I said - it's probably morning ich - it's usually not an issue and many folks don't even notice it.

You could add a cleaner shrimp if you like, he'll clean him up daily but if the spots go away by lunchtime it shouldn't be a big deal.

Jenn

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
JennM said:
Like I said - it's probably morning ich - it's usually not an issue and many folks don't even notice it.

You could add a cleaner shrimp if you like, he'll clean him up daily but if the spots go away by lunchtime it shouldn't be a big deal.

Jenn
Cool. I'm glad to hear that. :banana:

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
Jenn, I have never heard of morning ich. can you educate me?? :)

I would advise against drastic measures. I have torn down my tank more than once and qt/hyposalinity-treated the fish and left the main tank fishless for six weeks but it was the biggest, messiest, most labor intensive, pain in the rear thing I have ever done. It was successful (if you count three fish deaths out of 20 as successful) two out of three times but one time the ich was a hypo-resistant strain and just wouldnt disappear (with the hyposalinity) and I ended up getting rid of all the fish (back to the fishstore, where they treated with copper) and starting over.

if your case is mild and it seems it is, just feed the garlic, keep water param's stable and your tank should be fine. foxface have barely any protective slime coat so they tend to make great ich hosts but as long as your fish are seeming healthy and not succumbing to the ich or having a really bad breakout, dont do anything drastic. hope this helps ;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
salt creepette said:
Jenn, I have never heard of morning ich. can you educate me?? :)

I would advise against drastic measures. I have torn down my tank more than once and qt/hyposalinity-treated the fish and left the main tank fishless for six weeks but it was the biggest, messiest, most labor intensive, pain in the rear thing I have ever done. It was successful (if you count three fish deaths out of 20 as successful) two out of three times but one time the ich was a hypo-resistant strain and just wouldnt disappear (with the hyposalinity) and I ended up getting rid of all the fish (back to the fishstore, where they treated with copper) and starting over.

if your case is mild and it seems it is, just feed the garlic, keep water param's stable and your tank should be fine. foxface have barely any protective slime coat so they tend to make great ich hosts but as long as your fish are seeming healthy and not succumbing to the ich or having a really bad breakout, dont do anything drastic. hope this helps ;)
:p Everyone here always helps me to feel better about things. This can be an incredibly stressful hobby. I couldn't sleep at all last night worrying about what I was going to do. Question: If I quarantine the fish and do hypo, can I put some snails in my main tank to look over things while the fish are out of town (per se). Can snails be hosts for ich?

·
5,916 Posts
Morning ich - I don't know who coined that term but it's something I've seen quite a bit, and I've heard it called that by others too.

When a fish gets just a few spots overnight and shakes them during the day, that's morning ich. It's likely the same parasite, just not a full blown infestation - it's a couple here and there that the fish can lose on its own once it's up and attum.

Jenn

·
BRW member
2,610 Posts
no, inverts are not hosts. but you shouldnt NEED to add anything just because you are taking the fish out.

you are like me, you lie awake at night and lose sleep over your tank :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts