The Reef Tank banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats up guys, I'm new to this hobby. I've taken over this fish tank setup from a friend of mine. After having it as a Fish only tank for 4 months I want to move into Corals now. I've done all my research but I'm having dificulty with the lighting. I know that I need 2 watts for every gallon and 3 for corals that require a bit more lighting; 4 for corals that are more sensitive to lighting, and 5 for corals that are super sensitive to having good lighting.

Things to consider:
I do not plan on doing SPS, but I would certainly like to do LPS, Frags, and Zoanthids.
The Depth of my tank is 24"
60 Gallon

The Lighting I'm currently running:
- CORALIFE 20,000K - F30-T12-BP
- MARINE-GLO - 36-789-46cm-30W

Would the lighting I'm currently running be okay or with what should I go with?

Your opinions and recommendations will gladly be appreciated. I would seriously appreciate any help I can get.

Thank you for looking.
Sincerely,
Elio

·
Premium Member
9,623 Posts
Your wattage per gallon is irrelevant unless you have good enough reflectors to get the depth of par penetration you need.
If you don't have a Par meter I would recommend getting one or borrowing one from a local club..
Your Zoos and a good variety of LPS will take moderate to intense light, you may just need to figure a way to keep the demanding corals high, and perhaps softies to fill in the bottom.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How big is the tank, gallon-wise?
The tank is 60 gallon.

Sorry that I didn't include that in the first thread. I just edited it for to have it.

Your wattage per gallon is irrelevant unless you have good enough reflectors to get the depth of par penetration you need.
If you don't have a Par meter I would recommend getting one or borrowing one from a local club..
Your Zoos and a good variety of LPS will take moderate to intense light, you may just need to figure a way to keep the demanding corals high, and perhaps softies to fill in the bottom.
Looked into Par Meter.. I think I'm just going to have to borrow one since I'm not really going all out. ..It's only going to be a one time thing to just make sure the lighting is good. Thanks for the input.. I had no knowledge about that handy instrument.

Thanks all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts