The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

I have an Iwaki pump that is really noisy and decided I will be replacing it.

My setup. I have an auqapod 24 gallons (yeah its like a bicycle with training wheels bu I am still learning about reefs) with a 3 inch sand bed. I opened up one side of the tank so the intake is from the top of the tank to about 6 inches from the bottom. The Iwaki is the only pump in the system, pulling the water through the built in filter box then through a chiller. Its pushing about 400GPH. I don't have a powerhead in the tank because sand kept getting blown everywhere. I do water changes weekly and while I am at it, I vacum the sand bed. I have four fishes, an anemone, feather dusters and hermit crabs. I plan to add a few corals down the road.

Question. What is a good, reliable and quiet pump? I am looking at either velocity T3 or a pan world. I ruled out sequence since they are too big, sizewise. I ruled out mag because of its size also and it will not fit in the built in filter box. Is my circulation okay or do I need to add powerhead in my tank? If I need to add a pwerhead, whats good for a small tank with a sand bed?

Thank you for your help and suggestions.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
looking external stuff, right? Anytime someone is looking for a good, reliable, quiet pump I say Eheim, and the 1262 can be used external, so that's something to consider. I'm not real familiar with the others you're discussing, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Small powerheads to consider would be the smaller koralias (like the 1 or I think they have a nano too) or tunze nanos. The tunze are probably a bit more, but for good reason.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I didn't know there was a large enough space in the aquapod for any of these pumps. I need to look at these things closer next time I'm in the store.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I am referring to external pumps.

The aquapod has a decent sized filter box in the rear to fit a powerhead and it does come stock with one. The stock pump is rated approx 320 GPH but its not strong enough to push water through 6 feet of tubing plus the coils inside the chiller. By the time it goes through the tubing and chiller, I am getting abuot 40 to 50 GPH.

I decided an external would be a better fit since most submersibles that generate good head pressure are too big to fit in the filter box.

The Iwaki I have is good but I am getting tired of hearing my neighbor mow his lawn at night :) If you own or have heard a Pan World or Velocity, what does it sound like? Upside and downside?

Thanks,,

·
Registered
10 Posts
For a ultra-quiet external pump, I've never found something quieter and more reliable than Poseidon Titanium pumps INFO HERE

Depending on your piping configuration, you might be able to use the PS1, which puts out 540 gph @ 3'. I'm running a PS2 and quite literally, almost have to put my hand on the pump in the cabinet to determine if it's even running.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked at the Poseidon link and its similar to the Velocity T3 I was looking at. Here is the link http://www.seaquestmarine.com/Velocity_Titanium_Pump_T3_p/sea_vtt3.htm
I think its the same pump but the name is changed based on who the retailer is.

Did you notice a water temp rise using your Poseidon? I heard/read the downside to the quietness of the pump is heat transfer to the water.

If a pump's water output is too strong, what do you guys do to reduce it? On my current Iwaki, it has a power inverter and I would simply increase the power or decrease the power as needed to increase/decrease the water flow.

Thanks,

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
rase, you can use a ball valve or a gate valve to restrict it. The ball valves are cheaper (at least above 1") but the gate valve gives you a lot more flexibility in accuracy when adjusting the flowrate.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I looked at the Poseidon link and its similar to the Velocity T3 I was looking at. Here is the link http://www.seaquestmarine.com/Velocity_Titanium_Pump_T3_p/sea_vtt3.htm
I think its the same pump but the name is changed based on who the retailer is.

Did you notice a water temp rise using your Poseidon? I heard/read the downside to the quietness of the pump is heat transfer to the water.
Quite honestly, yes it really does raise the water temp. On my 92 gallon aquarium with 30 gallon sump, it raises it several degrees. Fortunately, it raises it right near my target zone so basically my heater rarely ever has to run. With a smaller tank size, it could be more difficult to compensate though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts