The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning TRT!! :D

I asked this once before but it was buried in another thread and I didn't get any responses, so I thought I'd ask a little more prominently.

I have decided to set our old 55G up as a predator tank (you guys were really enthusiastic about this, and got me all excited). I need to work on getting/designing a stand first, as I really don't like the old one (Sorry Geoff :) ). In the meantime, I want to learn about what predators can live together in relative peace, what equipment (less complicated than a reef tank?), etc. I could probably get Geoff to do all this for me, but I decided I want to do it myself. I just don't know where to start!

I am pretty sure I want lionfish (they really are beautiful). I think an eel would be pretty neat also. What else would be compatible? Are there some good book-type resources out there that anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance!

:dance:

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
you mena geoff doesnt ALREADY have all the books?

shame on him!!!

wel lfor predators, i was told that i could keep, lions, triggers, and puffers together. basically as long as they are all aggressive and all large as each other.

as for equipment. i THINK you'll need the same stuff, ie: powerheads, sump, skimmer, live rock, return pump. but you shouldn't need heavy duty lights.

stands for a 55 are vey easy to make, and only about 40 bucks in lumber. for my 55 stand (in the diy forum, and on my site under DIY) i only used 1x6's and 1x4's and 1/2 plywood for the top and doors. i didnt bother with 2x4's. made the stand cost considerably less.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have kept lions/triggers/puffers/eels together when they are of comparable size with no problems, but in my opinion a 55 is far to small for even a lion unless it is a dwarf species. Predators require larger tanks both because many of them get large, and since they create a lot of waste which can easily overload a small tank.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Anything that is BIGGER than the lion....

in a 55, I'd suggest you go with a Dwarf breed of lionfish... Eventually a full grown lion will outgrow a 55... (within a year a Lionfish can grow to 12-14 inches) At the length of a 12 inch fish, he will not be able to turn around and would have problems spreading his fins... Dwarf Lionfish are just as beautiful and will only grow to about 5-6 inches. (This will also server better towards possible tankmates)

One point to mention, even though the dwarfs are small, they are just as poisonous. Just ask Doug as he was laid out for three days by one... There is a great article about Lionfish on Reefkeeping Magazine by Dr. Frank Marini... http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.htm

I've been in touch with Frank and he's more than willing to answer any specific questions...

One fish not to keep with a Lion is a trigger... they are notorious fin nippers and it would be a shame to have a lion without all that beauty... I'm planning on keeping a dog face puffer and possibly an Angel with mine...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice and article reference! I had no idea lionfish were so big, I guess all I've ever seen were dwarfs or babies...hence the wanting to read up on this before buying anything.

I am sure I will have more questions as I get further along...any other information is always appreciated...

·
1,262 Posts
Yeah, Lions are great fish... They return as much as you give them... The important thing is to train them early and earn their trust... That way when you are working in the tank, they know to stay away from you and won't "barb up" so easily...

I think two dwarf lions in a 55 would make for an awesome display.. ;)

·
1,262 Posts
You can tell the growth stage of the Volitan's by the "antennae" over their eyes... These barbs do not grow with the fish, the fish sort of grows along the barbs... When the fish reaches maximum size, the antenna's no longer show...

·
1,262 Posts
Hmmmm..... How about three black volitans in a 125... ;)

Whatcha think Jay??? Should I do it?? Three may be a bit cramped, but they aren't very active fish and they like to hunt in packs... Would make for an awesome feeding display....

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
hey now, you are getting me in trouble here. i have plenty of books for newfiemom to read. she just has not asked. i also have a couple more coming in a few days.:p

lions do get large.

you could do a set up like Jays, with a smaller tank below that holds another fish. lets say a sargassum angler in a sargassum tank. then in the 55 you could put a lion, eel, puffer.

along with the 55, there is also available a 20high, 20long, 10g, and a 5g. your options are pretty wide open.

G~

·
1,262 Posts
I'd suggest not putting a full size lion in a 55 unless you can follow it up with at least a 75 in the near future...

Lions actually ARE reef compatible.... You just can't keep any shrimp or small fish in the tank... but they will leave the corals alone...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Buzz_Hog said:
I'd suggest not putting a full size lion in a 55 unless you can follow it up with at least a 75 in the near future...

Lions actually ARE reef compatible.... You just can't keep any shrimp or small fish in the tank... but they will leave the corals alone...
Buzz Hog - Thank you for that article! It was very informative and had lots of pretty pictures. I think I want a zebra dwarf, two if I can, but one would be nice too. I wonder what size eel would be okay? It sounds like if the eel is too big he might want to make lunch out of the dwarf lion!

Hmmm...Geoff, how attached are you to your shrimp and small fish (well, that would be all your fish, huh?)?? A full-size lion in the 125 would look pretty sweet.... :p (J/K)

Ooooohhh....two tanks....that would look really cool in the master bedroom....Didn't Jay have some two-tank stand designs on here somewhere? And yes, I want a puffer.

:help: Help...can't...resist...the dark side....

This checking account ain't big enough for the both of us...

Okay, getting punchy now...good thing I only have a couple more hours left at work...

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
Buzz_Hog said:
Hmmmm..... How about three black volitans in a 125... ;)

Whatcha think Jay??? Should I do it?? Three may be a bit cramped, but they aren't very active fish and they like to hunt in packs... Would make for an awesome feeding display....
i was going to ignore this and hope that i was just imagining it.:D

the kole tank, and the Genicanthus would survive, but the rest would expensive lunch. :rolleyes:

G~

·
1,262 Posts
Yeah, I think a Lion in a reef would really look awesome!!

You could prob get away with a a dwarf in a reef pretty easily... Most reef fish would be of side that the dwarf couldn't fit in his mouth... The only problem though is that Lions prefer low light which may not go well with MH's over a reef... So long as he has a cave to hide in during the high light time, he should be ok and wouldprob come out on the prowl during the actinic or low light part of the cycle...

·
1,262 Posts
hahaha..... My Volitan left my peppermint shrimp alone... well, for the first week... Then I decided to take him and the trigger out of the tank when he started stalking them... :) My Cinnamon clown wasn't so fortunate... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Two things I would look for with a lion tank...

1) the lion is trained to eat frozen/ fresh (dead) food. (More nutritious)

2) [email protected] skimmer. These guys are pigs even if they only eat 2 or 3 times a week.

Good luck, sounds like you have a plan :D

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.