The Reef Tank banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this is off topic but I imaging many on this board have in the past or currently keep the freshies. My 10 y/o daughter wants to start her first tank. I got her a good book and told her nothing happens till she reads it and can answer some questions for me. Well she blew throught the book in 12 hours, can describe the nitrogen cycle in approprate detail for a 10 year old, understands basic filtration, and wants more. What a kid. So, I was thinking that she should join one of the freshwater boards and read some more there in addition to the next book I will give her later tonight. Anyone have a good, newby friendly board recommendation for me. Thanks in advance. Looks like my reef budget just got cut some more. Sigh.

John

·
11,345 Posts
http://www.garf.org/

i couldnt find the exact link but i did find the main webpage........
There is a 12 year old girl here....i "think" she was 8 or 10 or something when she started that followed these guidelines and on her own created a beautiful 55 gallon reef. Somebody else will maybe pipe in with the exact web address as is it a lot of reading but it sounds like your daughter is of that reading level and interest level to maybe take a little more of a risk. Its set up as economical as could possibly be and in some ways, makes a mockery of the countless (by choice...i dont wanna know)thousands of dollars some of us invest into these reefs.

Of course....i said SOME ways : )

·
11,345 Posts
I was just answering their first question????? And besides.....garf is a good read for anybody interested in the hobby.....its pretty easy access to A LOT of info. ;)

PLUS....contingency plan is that if it DOESNT work out, MRI guys got that quarantine and or extra tank running without having to pull any strings to make it happen..............:thumbup:

·
Registered
657 Posts
flyguy i mean't to put a lol at the end of that statement, hope you didn't take it like i was being a jerk to you. just teasing at you.lol

jd

·
11,345 Posts
:agree: No worries im far from fragile ......im just waiting a couple of months to get MY toddler started on HIS first reef tank.......he cant read yet as hes only 3 months but i think if i yell loud enough at him....he will understand...............

I lkie to throw big jagged rocks from my concrete fortress..........no glass houses allowed........ESPECIALLY when confronted with the miscommunications that the typed word can create...................

·
Registered
657 Posts
i keep trying to get sealife decorations into the baby room, She's 1, hoping she'll take a liking to the reef world, Wife isn't so willing to let me turn the baby into a reef fan though, go figure. LOL

jd

·
11,345 Posts
Wives are funny that way, you should have seen the dirty look she gave me the other day when i had him lifted up so he could reach the bottom of the skimmer for me with a paper towel..........he got a little green slime on his cheek....it was SO cute.....

(to be sure, im kidding...............please noone else turn me in for child abuse.....:) ) I need to use those emoticons more often. Sometimes in moments like this i wonder just how many people i offend EVERY day without knowing it who DONT say anything..........Ive said this before but ill say it again.

If i have offended ANYONE at any time since the beginning of time..........I was joking and/or didnt mean it THAT way....:funny:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I never knew there was a fresh forum here. Looks like my wife is right, I am think.

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts