The Reef Tank banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any suggestions for a clean up crew to use in a refugium? I have a 20g long tank that I have converted to a fuge and have just ordered some macro algae from Indo Pacific Sea Farms (arrives this friday).

I had some algae problems in the 20 so I put some snails and hermits in it to clear it up, but wondered if they will eat the macro algae.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Ross

·
Registered
645 Posts
Why would you have cleaner or peppermint shrimp in the refugium? I have about 10 hermits in my refugium. IMO the benefit of these out weigh the costs. Hermits will eat smails andother inverts in the refuge, but they will also take care of uneaten food and detritus that gets carried through the over flow. However, this is an area that I have debated with myself over. Most people I talk to say that hermits in the refuge are not good. Not only in terms of them eating inverts but also becase you are attempting to grow macro and micro algae alike in the refugium. Hermits eat the micro algae as well. I do not believe, however, that they will eat the macro algae. If they do it will be a minimal amount and if your system is functioning well then the effects will be nominal due to the growth rath of most macros.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.