The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after extensive research i have decided to suppliment with my fishy food with garlic, plus to try to avoid ich, which im terrified of! Does any one have any recipes for a homemade paste of sorts.

I was just going to use a food processer to process a couple heads of store bought garlic. If I do this can Ijust use the paste or should I get the extract? How do I get extract?

Any thoughts/comments/tips appreciated.

Just trying to save some money as my LFS sells the stuff for $26 bucks and the other LFS is full of the not so bright species, if ya catch muh drift.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Keep in mind that there is no scientific proof that I have found of independent review that garlic does anything to treat or avoid ich. The most logical conclusion I have found through the years is that the garlic seems to stimulate the appetite in some fish... Heck maybe they just like the taste. This stimulation causes them to eat more and remain healthy to ward off any ich infection.

With that said, I just soak their regular frozen food in a small amount of 100% natural garlic paste from the health-food store ($4.00). Works as well, if not better than the store-bought brands.

HTH.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frozen Mysis? I have some of that all the time. How often do you feed with garlic? Do you melt the cube before you put them in? Is Mysis your only food source? I also rotate pellets and Nori. Can I also soak the Nori/pellets?

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
O also I found the same thing Garlic is more of an inmmune boost from healthy eating. I understand the concept. Seems like it cant hurt anything and I want them to be as healthy as possible!

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I use a mix of frozen food from Rods to several San Francisco bay brands. For my tank, I use 4-5 cubes a day, placed into a little bowl and add RO water to help melt the cubes. Then I put a small amount of garlic paste in the bowl and swish it around. When the cubes are melted, I drain the food into a coffee filter to rid of the excess water and byproduct. I then place the remaining (now thawed) food back into the little bowl, add some tank water and I feed the tank over the next few hours using a turkey baster.

I do the garlic a couple times a month, sometimes a couple times a week. But I have not added anything to the tank in three years. If I were to add new fish, I would do it daily for a few months.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Also Is it good to have Nori in there for them to snack on or am I asking for trouble? If im in trouble then how long should the nori stay in there?

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
Also Is it good to have Nori in there for them to snack on or am I asking for trouble? If im in trouble then how long should the nori stay in there?
What fish are you keeping. Nori is a good supplement for tangs.

·
Premium Member
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a large PB tang, scopas(spelling?) Tang foxface, 2 clowns, and a flame hawkfish. Good bunch of little characters :) o and various forms of hermits and crabs.

Hop- you posted a video on another thread, you had a beautiful nem? Right in the front it is really wavy and almost a peach color. Can you share with me what this is? I love its movement! Nice tank also! I hope to have something like that in tim, I'm still very new.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts