The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody recharged thier chiller? i have one that needs recharging. i got a kit for a car, but the nipple is much smaller than the one for the car. :( is there an adaptor that is readily available? am i doing something wrong?

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea, sorry. it is r134a. how would i know which adaptor to get? are the only associated with r134a recharging or are the just generic fittings.

if it was not so difficult to haul around i would bring it in to an autoparts store and say. how do i get slot A into tap B. :D

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i apparantly needed a 7/16 low pressure adaptor. this is an oldish chiller and my guess is that it was a design still based on R12 refrigerant and they just used r134a in it at the factory, but kept the old style service ports on it.

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
starting this up again. i need to recharge. i wasn't able to before. i have a auto recharge kit. the connectors are the same.

there is a valve right next to the port. my thinking is that i need to use this valve to open up the system to release the R-134a into the system. as it stands now (not touching the valve at all) i get zero reading when i connect the gauge, and spikes when i try and release some refrigerant.

anybody out there know a thing or two about refrigerators?

G~

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks Wiskey. that gave the confidence to just do it.

just for future searches.

the chiller in question is an AquaLogic 1/5HP drop in chiller. i need to take a picture of the area. there were two plastic caps on one side of the chiller. one blue, which covered the recharge port, and a black one just above it that uncovers a valve. the valve is backwards, which was part of my concern.

my procedure:

removed the cover to the chiller
removed the caps from the valve and port
plug in the chiller
connect the recharge hose with pressure gauge on it. follow instructions for the particular kit.
slowly turn the valve clockwise. backwards. be careful of the spinning fan. :D you will hear the valve open and you will get a reading on the gauge. open it a bit more.
follow the instructions for adding coolant on the recharge kit. i moved the drop in tail a few times to make sure everything was moving fine.
when the pressure maintains where it needs to be close the valve by going counter-clockwise. again be careful of the spinning fan.
it took about 10 minutes for the recharge to work.

this was a very old unit, so maybe things have changed, but this worked for me. i have not run the chiller in 5 years. it would still cool, but only the very end. i was pretty confident if it was working that well after that length of time just sitting there any leak would be very small if at all.

G~

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,720 Posts
thanks Wiskey. that gave the confidence to just do it.

just for future searches.

the chiller in question is an AquaLogic 1/5HP drop in chiller. i need to take a picture of the area. there were two plastic caps on one side of the chiller. one blue, which covered the recharge port, and a black one just above it that uncovers a valve. the valve is backwards, which was part of my concern.

my procedure:

removed the cover to the chiller
removed the caps from the valve and port
plug in the chiller
connect the recharge hose with pressure gauge on it. follow instructions for the particular kit.
slowly turn the valve clockwise. backwards. be careful of the spinning fan. :D you will hear the valve open and you will get a reading on the gauge. open it a bit more.
follow the instructions for adding coolant on the recharge kit. i moved the drop in tail a few times to make sure everything was moving fine.
when the pressure maintains where it needs to be close the valve by going counter-clockwise. again be careful of the spinning fan.
it took about 10 minutes for the recharge to work.

this was a very old unit, so maybe things have changed, but this worked for me. i have not run the chiller in 5 years. it would still cool, but only the very end. i was pretty confident if it was working that well after that length of time just sitting there any leak would be very small if at all.

G~
That's great!! I'm glad it worked :) I wish I had one of those valves on my car, the first time I went to recharge it I put a can in and for whatever reason the Shrade valve stuck open so as soon as I removed my gauges the freon started leaking out :( There was nothing I could do but put the gauge back on to stop the leak, then go buy and replace the valve as fast as possible to leak out as little as possible.

Good thing you noticed that the valve was backwards,.. if you hadn't been careful it would have been really easy to break it.

Whiskey

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i almost tried to break it off by turning it the wrong way. i just decided to try it the other way to see if would break loose. it did, easier than i thought, so i decided to keep going in that direction until i heard the release of gas. i need to see if there shaft for the valve is notched to show reverse threads or not. i have never seen this in a valve, only on nuts and bolts.

G~

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did you get your chiller working? Recharging a/c can be difficult with the cans from an autopart store, expecially small capacity systems... the proper way to recharge ac is to use a vacuum pump to pull a vacuum on the system to remove any air, then full with the refrigerant of choice (r134a in this case) any questions pm me Im a mechanic anf deal with ac on a regular basis

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yea that's usually the case when you do it with the recharge cans... the air in the line inhibits the refrigerants ability to evaporate and condense... your local auto shop can do it for you as long as you know the capacity of the system, a vacuum pump can be found pretty cheap too.. but if it's working is worth the hassle lol

1 - 12 of 12 Posts