The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a rebel xt with the kit lens (EF-S 18-55mm). I was just wondering for those who have it if you use the flash when taking pictures of your aquarium. I always get a darker unnatural color when using the flash, how can i correct that without lowering my shutter speed. keep in mind i'm only using the kit lens. need to get some for $$$ for a better lens.

Thanks!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have a tamron 2.8 28-75 lens, little different than the kit lens, but, my suggestion -- shoot in Tv (no flash), bump your iso up to 800, with your shutter speed 1/250 or whatever you can hand hold (or slower if you use a tripod), save it in raw and then use RawShooter essentials to adjust color/white balance/exp compensation...Using RAW gives you lots of options to fix pictures AFTER they have been taken! Good luck!
Another point - shut off all pumps
and another - if you are trying to get a picture of a fish moving around, pick a point to focus on, and when he gets close to that point start snapping away...trying to follow him around the tank will drive you batty!

I am by no means an expert but I have gotten pretty decent pics from trying it this way - the best thing is - it doesnt cost you a thing for the pictures, so shoot away!!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW! Thats the kind of answer I wanted to hear! Thank you so much, I'll play around with it tonight. Great pictures btw! One quick question. Is Rawshooter a downloadable program or was it supposed to come with the camera, because all i got was PhotoStudio and Digital Photo Professional.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, It did'nt come with my camera. Thanks for the link.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Now I shoot my rebel in P mode so that I can focus on what I want to focus on. I do not use flash, the tank lights are plenty. When I use the macro lense and I want to take some serious pics I set up the tripod and use the remote shutter for absolutely zero camera shake.
Snap away! It's free!
AutoMag, is Rawshooter what's on that mini disc? I never uploaded that yet...

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's to bad i'm just 16 without a job or I'd have one of those fancy macro lens!:p For right now i'm stuck with the kit lens.:thumbup:

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I downloaded the program you gave me the link to and messed around with RAW, and i like it a lot! Thanks for the tips.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts